Sr Staff Backend Engineer- Rider App at Uber
On the Rides Engineering team, we write code that ignites opportunities for millions of people every day. We're focused on making Uber's core ridesharing products faster, safer, and more reliable by building scalable software solutions for riders and drivers on our platform.
About the Role
Uber's Rider team is seeking an experienced software engineering leader to help build the future of transportation. The Rider team is responsible for the Rider app and platforms, helping people navigate their lives.
Uber is looking for a Sr Staff, Backend Engineer to work closely with a talented team of engineers based in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Toronto and India. As part of the Mobility business at Uber you will own building the technology architecture that powers all Rider products at Uber. The person who takes this role will be able to define the architecture and technology roadmap for one of Uber's most critical growth areas.
What You'll Do
- Lead and develop backend systems and technology for all of Rider
- Strategize and influence the product vision and roadmap, technology platforms in collaboration with the product, business and infrastructure teams
- Build trust and foster a collaborative team culture and help grow the respective leaders in each of the focus areas
- Build a strong engineering brand for Rider to attract and retain talent
- Have an excellent executive presence to communicate the team's vision/plan effectively and represent the Rider teams
- Work across organizations and partner with other teams
- Translate the strategic roadmap into a practical execution plan with quarterly OKRs
- Build an influential culture of engineering perfection maintaining the balance and right tradeoff for building products for speed and tech debt
- Develop an operational model to achieve operational excellence for Product metrics and Engineering metrics
- Proven record of designing and implementing large scale distributed systems
- 8+ years relevant engineering experience.
- Experience designing and building large-scale distributed systems with performance, reliability & developer efficiency in mind
- Proven track record of results as a Senior Staff Engineer level or above at a premier technology company
- Excellent backend development & data modeling skills.
- 10+ years of software development experience
- Product and customer-centric mindset. The frameworks and platforms we are building are going to be leveraged by Uber engineers across many teams.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.