Sr Software Engineer at The Walt Disney Company (Seattle, WA)
Disney Entertainment & ESPN is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join the Experience Delivery team inside the Media Engineering organization.
The Experience Delivery team builds high performance globally distributed critical path services that serve as the source of truth for a wide variety of parameters that are critical to understanding and evolving the user's playback experience. We also provide apis for a wide range of session level data relied on for operational insights across the wider organization. We work in a highly collaborative yet fundamentally self directed environment striving to realize business objectives with pragmatic and robust solutions.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in both the technical direction of our projects and the development of our team's skill set. Your responsibilities will include the design and implementation of complex systems, ensuring the successful delivery of high-quality solutions, and contributing to the broader goals of the team. If you enjoy streaming media, are interested in live sports and entertainment, or just want to join a fast-growing team that plays an integral part of the revenue producing arm of a company, then our team is for you.
Technologies we use include Go, PostgresQL, Kubernetes, AWS (CloudFront, Lambda, Kinesis, Aurora, many others) and more. Experience in these areas is highly valued, but not required.
- Own the design and development of robust, scalable, and efficient backend solutions
- Serve as an active owner of team remit proactively identifying and vying for improvements
- Curate nuanced well reasoned opinions from first principles to guide team decisions
- Collaborate closely with other engineering teams, and stakeholders
- Lead by example, promoting good coding practices and continuous learning within the team
- Be an excellent partner to team members across all levels
- Successfully lead and shipped projects for mission critical systems
- Demonstrated success operating in self directed environments
- Track record of using empirical evidence to make decisions
- Curious by nature with a proven passion for learning
- History of garnering influence and buy-in through excellent communication, empathy, and reason
- Deeply pragmatic able to identify high leverage solutions without being dogmatic in approach
- Experience with distributed systems preferably within a cloud environment
- Familiar with the technologies we use
- Bachelor's degree in computer science-related field or equivalent work experience
About Disney Entertainment & ESPN:
DEE is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company's direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world's most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
The hiring range for this position in Washington and New York is $142,516 to $191,180 per year, the hiring range in California is $136,036 to $199,870. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.