Sr. Software Engineer at Abacus Insights
Abacus Insights is a mission-driven, a rapid growth-stage technology company focused on transforming the healthcare payer industry, ultimately creating a more personalized patient experience, improving health outcomes, and lowering the overall cost of healthcare. Abacus Insights provides a flexible, efficient, and secure platform that organizes and exchanges healthcare data from various sources and formats, allowing our customers to uncover differentiated insights that address their clients' needs. Our employees know that they play an active role in keeping our customers' data safe and are responsible for ensuring that our comprehensive policies and practices are met.
With our deep expertise in cloud-enabled technologies and knowledge of the healthcare industry, we have built an innovative data integration and management platform that allows healthcare payers access to data that has been historically siloed and inaccessible. Through our platform, these health insurance payers can ingest and manage all the data they need to transform their business by supporting their analytical, operational, and financial needs.
Since our founding in 2017, Abacus has built a highly successful SaaS business, raising more than $53 Million by leading VC firms that have deep expertise in the healthcare and technology industries. We are solving problems of massive scale and complexity in an industry that is ready for disruption. We're growing quickly and would love for you to be a part of it!
About the role:
In 2019, the US Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services published the CMS Interoperability and Patient Access Final Rule, requiring healthcare payors and providers to ensure patients have access to their medical and claim data. The rule (mandated to go into effect on July 1, 2021) is fast-tracked Interoperability (which has been a healthcare dream for 30+ years) and has ushered in the transformation to open healthcare data access. Our Interoperability team is building the product that not only allows our customers to comply with the CMS final rule, but enables our clients to gain previously unavailable insights into their data, and allows our customers to excel at operating and meeting high-security demands of managing PII & PHI Data.
As a Principal Software Engineer on our Interoperability team, you will be providing technical leadership in a strategic and critical area of Abacus Insight’s business. You will be exposed to every area of our platform and AWS services (Serverless – Lambda, EMR – Hadoop/Spark, EKS – Kubernetes, etc.) but even more so, help drive the evolution of the product and team as we continue to grow rapidly. We believe heavily in architecture evolution and you will bring your experience on best practices as we build out new components of the platform.
- Help deliver against our roadmap for upcoming new features
- Design, implement, test, and maintain our data pipelines
- Optimize data delivery, design, or re-design infrastructure for greater scalability, availability, and reliability.
- Spearhead the implementation of data management and governance procedures within the company
- Ensure data integrity and accuracy within our various data pipelines
- Help make the deployment process predictably predictable through proactive thinking, persistence, promoting best practices, and cross-team collaboration with our technical and non-technical teams
- Consult on architecture to separate sensitive healthcare data among multiple customers in a multi-tenant environment
- Learn a new and complex space/service within healthcare interoperability (FHIR Servers)
What we're looking for:
- In-depth knowledge of the design and maintainability of “big data” data architectures, notably data lakes, columnar databases, large batch processing (Spark, Hadoop), stream processing (Kafka), and message queuing
- In-depth experience with AWS data services (EMR, Glue, Athena, Redshift, Kinesis, SQS, DynamoDB or MongoDB), serverless architectures (Lambda), and container architectures (Kubernetes)
- In-depth experience building and shipping highly scalable and distributed systems on cloud platforms.
- Strong programming skills (Python, Java, or other OOP languages)
- Strong experience with hands-on data analysis and modeling of large data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience coupled with a willingness to learn new things
- Familiarity with infrastructure automation using Terraform and GitLab CI/CD
- Comfort with uncertainty and a desire to be close to business problems
- Background working in an Agile delivery framework
- FHIR experience
- Elastic Search
- Experience in Healthcare or related field
Equal Opportunity Employer:
As a mission-led technology company that is helping to drive better healthcare outcomes, Abacus Insights believes that the best innovation and value we can bring to our customers comes from diverse ideas, thoughts, experiences, and perspectives. We are dedicated to building diverse teams, and as such provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. As well as prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.