We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags — creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve built a team that's incredibly talented and passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies, big and small, depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
In your role as a senior software engineer you will be an expert in modern day application development. You will have familiarity with the practices of high-performing engineering organizations such as Git-Flow, pull requests, unit testing, cloud architecture & design, and SCRUM. You will be an excellent hands-on contributor and you’ll be a mentor for other software engineers.
What you'll Do
- Build and maintain powerful APIs that will be used by agents to quote and bind policies for small business owners.
- Write clean, well-tested code and automated unit tests using Ruby / Ruby on Rails.
- Participate in agile ceremonies such as iteration planning, retrospectives, and standups.
- Work with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products.
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery.
- Learn from and mentor other engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, and SDLC.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of professional experience with at least 3 years of Ruby on Rails
- Previous working experience in high-growth technology companies and/or startups a plus
- Understanding of scrum, unit testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps a plus
- Knowledge of microservice architectures and RESTful APIs, especially in Ruby on Rails a plus
- Previous work experience in insurance and/or experience with policy rating is very desirable.
- Bonus points for open-source contributions and/or speaking experience.
2022 BOLD BENEFITS include, but are not limited to:
Medical, Dental, and Vision
Disability and Life Benefits
401K with a company match
Employee Assistance Program (EAP with 9 free sessions)
Unlimited Vacation for Applicable Roles & Paid Time Off for all
Remote Culture: Moving to Columbus is not an option? No problem. We offer remote work options. Here at Bold Penguin our remote employees are top of mind, and we have created an inclusive, engaging remote environment.
Choose-your-own gear: Whether you prefer Mac, PC, or Linux, one screen or three, we’ll set you up for success.
Expanded Holiday Schedule: All Bold Penguin employees will have 9 paid holidays.
Gatherings on the Glacier: A social hour for fun only.
Zoom-Free Zones: Bold Penguin is providing you specific times to focus on your role, work and not be on calls.
Stay connected to the Glacier. We have great SLACK channels for work and play. We also like to video conference regularly. We hold all - hands "Waddles" regularly.
Penguin bling. Like swag themed after a certain Antarctic bird? Just. You. Wait.
Bold Weekends: You have "Optional Fridays" on identified dates communicated between Memorial and Labor Day weekends
Bold Penguin believes in inclusion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that considers all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, beak size, or inability to fly.
To learn more about our results-focused culture and employee-focused perks, read more on our careers page.
More Information on Bold Penguin
Bold Penguin operates in the Insurance industry. The company is located in Columbus, OH. Bold Penguin was founded in 2016. It has 189 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits and Life Insurance. To see all 12 open jobs at Bold Penguin, click here.
Read Full Job Description