Sr Engineering Manager- Rider Platform at Uber
On the Rides Engineering team, we write code that ignites opportunities for millions of people every day. We're focused on making Uber's core ridesharing products faster, safer, and more reliable by building scalable software solutions for riders and drivers on our platform.
About the Role
The Rider platform team is responsible for the development and extension of the underlying mobile and backend platforms of our flagship Uber app. The platform team has a wide range of responsibilities, ranging from app health, performance, reliability and mobile frameworks to core APIs and Rider backend services that powers the Uber apps. The team is instrumental in scaling the application as we build for new verticals and markets, extend to other innovative mobility use cases, and ultimately enable our product teams to build phenomenal experiences.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Engineering Manager to lead this team. The leader should bring experience in multiple domains to bear on building mobile applications at scale, and in-depth knowledge of many mobile and/or backend technologies, platforms, tools, frameworks and best practices.
What You'll Do
- Drive vision & strategy for building the mobile and backend platform layer upon which the flagship Uber apps are developed
- Drive Rider apps' technical strategy, ranging from super app to white-labeled apps
- Provide technical leadership, influence and partner with your team to architect, design and build systems and platforms that can stand the test of scale and availability, while reducing operational overhead
- Partner effectively with cross-org engineering groups and various functions, and other internal and external partners to represent Rider technology
- Build a strong engineering brand for Rider and be able to attract and retain top notch talent in mobile and backend engineering
- Build trust,foster a collaborative team culture and help grow the respective leaders in each of the focus areas
- 4+ years experience as an engineering manager.
- 2+ years of proven experience leading multiple teams through Engineering Managers and Technical Leads.
- BS/BE degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience
- Proven experience leading engineering teams in parallel execution against high-stakes business goals and extensive engineering priorities.
- Proven experience partnering across functions and organizational boundaries to effectively advocate for team, business, and company priorities.
- Dedication to build a diverse and inclusive culture within teams
- A strong ability to architect and design robust, high-scale systems and to challenge engineers to think bigger and more generically in developing their solutions.
- Experience leading mobile and backend platform engineering teams, with hands-on engineering experience on at least one of these domains.
- 10+ years of progressive management leadership experience directing high visibility initiatives in geo-distributed team environments.
- An inspirational technical leader with a high emotional intelligence who sets high and exacting standards and demands the best work of their team.
- Experience with high-growth technology companies, and in organizations that know how to compete and win.
- Proven track record of growing and mentoring accomplished staff ICs and EMs.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.