DMED Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and The Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence, DMED Technology helps DMED and The Walt Disney Company optimize technology, platforms, and resources, while bringing creative ideas to life and creating industry-shaping approaches.
The individual in this position will join the Engineering Services Infrastructure Data Stores team in an exciting and fast-paced environment where they will help build and maintain highly available NoSQL database systems operating across multiple cloud and physical locations. These systems help to power some of DMED's largest consumer facing systems including fantasy games, personalization, and messaging.
We're looking for an individual who can apply software engineering principles to database engineering and administration to build processes and automation to help deliver infrastructure faster, safer, more consistently and with the right level of observability required to operate at scale.
- Responsible for building, deploying, and ensuring all DMED database infrastructure is available 24/7/365.
- Leverage software development and automation to design, modernize, and deliver database infrastructure.
- Participates in setting the architectural direction for database platforms and projects.
- Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment .
- Analyze, design, and deploy fault-tolerant, distributed, and highly available database infrastructure.
- Proactively plan and implement infrastructure changes through capacity forecasting, software release cycles, and right sizing.
- Provide database expertise through performance tuning, troubleshooting and administration.
- Develop, enhance, and adhere to engineering and administration standards.
- Develop automation and tooling to increase operational efficiency while ensuring system reliability and security.
- Build infrastructure and systems for scalability, resiliency, availability, and recovery though infrastructure as code and configuration management.
- Provide relevant insights of data store infrastructure through metrics, monitoring, and alerting.
- Maintain thorough and well-written documentation.
- Participate in live event support and on-call rotation.
- May provide oversight and direction to junior team members.
- Builds relationships with engineering teams and leads.
Basic Qualifications :
- 5+ years of related work experience with NoSQL database systems such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, DocumentDB, DynamoDB, and Cosmos DB.
- Fundamental understanding of database internals for at least one of the above database engines.
- Experience with NoSQL database administration, configuration, and performance tuning.
- Experience designing and deploying fault-tolerant, distributed, and highly available database infrastructure.
- Experience running, deploying, and maintaining production cloud infrastructure in Amazon Web Services.
- Experience with disaster recovery planning and implementation.
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, CloudFormation).
- Experience with source control management tools (Git, GitLab, GitHub).
- Experience working in Agile software development.
- Intermediate to advanced level of expertise in one or more programming languages such as Python, Java, or Go.
- General understanding and experience with Linux operating system, network, and containers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Carries out assignments with little coaching or guidance from others.
Preferred Qualifications :
- Experience operating within a database reliability engineering (DRE) and/or systems reliability engineering (SRE) role.
- Experience building a proper path to production leveraging multiple lifecycles, testing, integration, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience running, deploying, and maintaining production cloud infrastructure in Azure and GCP.
- Experience with configuration management (Ansible, Chef).
Required Education :
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training or work experience.
ALTERNATE LOCATIONS: Seattle, WA/Los Angeles, CA/Orlando, FL/New York, NY