Sr. Client Platform Engineer at Uber
With over 20,000 employees globally, Uber is bolstered by a network of tools and services to improve productivity, business operations, sustainability, and corporate infrastructure. The Information Technology team makes Uber a better place to work.
Client Platform Engineering (CPE) is a core part of Uber's infrastructure, and expands beyond a single platform or OS. We function as a force multiplier and empower many facets of the business. From employee endpoints to UberEats restaurant tablets, CPE brings together hardware and software in a fast-paced and ever evolving landscape. This team is a diverse and dynamic group that are passionate about solving large scale problems with a combination of open source and 3rd party software and platforms.
About the Role
In this role, you will act as a Sr level engineer on the CPE team. You will be engaged as a SME on many key projects and initiatives, partnering closely across product engineering and tech services. You will be responsible for multiple device fleets across the organization and the platforms that power them. In addition, you'll be partnering with core engineering teams to help scale and maintain our developer device lab and related infrastructure.
What You'll Do
- Manage, administrate and help scale our global fleet of MDM connected devices (macOS, Windows, Linux)
- Write tools/cookbooks to automate application distribution and management using internal tools
- Scale and maintain mobile devices and their hosts in our server rooms, up-leveling our developer device lab for performance and regression testing
- Design detailed monitoring and reporting dashboards for the fleet and related infrastructure.
- Continuously challenge the status quo, and push the envelope with solutions that will make our users more efficient and effective. Identify and remove friction wherever it exists, and bring delight to our users.
- Mentor, uplevel, and train junior members within IT Engineering and the CPE team
- Expertise with at least two software development languages Ruby, Python, Go, Swift, etc. Powershell a plus.
- Strong experience managing client operating systems with a configuration-as-code first approach
- 5+ year experience managing macOS, Windows 10, or Linux at enterprise scale
- Experience with MDM software: WorkspaceONE, JAMF, MobileIron, Intune, or similar
- Experience with configuration management software: Chef, Salt, Puppet, Ansible, etc
- Strong experience managing client operating systems with a combination of MDM and code-based configuration management, specifically WorkspaceONE and Chef
- Experience deploying and scaling open source client platform tools: osquery, Munki, Gorilla, InstallApplications, Nudge, UMAD, etc
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.