Sr. Application Architect at Protective Life (Birmingham, AL)
| Birmingham, AL
Sorry, this job was removed at 7:04 a.m. (CST) on Friday, May 13, 2022
The work we do has an impact on millions of lives, and you can be a part of it.
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
The Senior Application Architect 2mis responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting software systems. Works closely with business analysts and customers to gather requirements in order to ensure the customer’s business needs and expectations are met in a timely and cost effective manner. Diagnoses, isolates and de-bugs software problems and provides resolution. Prepares and modifies technical documentation. Researches, evaluates and recommends new development tools and applications as appropriate. May be responsible for managing work within a project.
- Researches, compiles, and evaluates information used in the development and maintenance of very large and complex systems and processes to satisfy business needs. Designs very large and complex systems and/or support processes that meet customer requirements while effectively interacting with existing systems/support processes.
- Constructs, modifies, and tests very large and complex system changes.
- Quickly diagnoses very complex problems; determines and implements quality solutions in a timely fashion. This covers all areas of production support and daily problem research and resolution. Production incidents need prompt attention and correction to reduce impact on the business area.
- Provides thorough and complete documentation for all programming changes and enhancements. Documentation must meet corporate standards.
- Understands the business needs of the customer and provides quality customer support by providing appropriate communication, anticipating customer needs and/or problems, and understanding the broad impact of changes on all customer processes. Provides appropriate solutions and proactively suggests process improvements.
- Performs project management duties for the technical aspects of very large and complex projects as needed depending on the nature of the project. Manages individual tasks on projects to ensure that all tasks are delivered according to the project plan.
- Provides leadership as a model of how others should interact and accomplish tasks. Is considered 'a top expert' by peers in one or more important areas of expertise, such as, a programming language, computer system, data base, etc. Provides an appropriate level of feedback to peers, support and interface areas, and management. Willingly shares and assists in the development skills of others.
Work Experience, Education, Certification/Training Required
- Typically, 13+ years of applicable work and/or technical experience in languages/environments considered important to the company.
- Typically, post-secondary degree, preferably in Management Information Services, Computer Science or Math related field may substitute for up to 4 years of work and/or technical experience.
- Technical certifications are desirable and may substitute for some work and/or technical experience. (Microsoft Certifications, etc.)
- Recognized expertise in their assigned areas of responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Demonstrates a thorough, detailed working knowledge of relevant technologies. Responsible for designing and implementing how the technologies will be incorporated in current systems or will be used in development of very complex new systems.
- Demonstrates a thorough, detailed understanding of various data structures.
- Requires programming skills sufficient to solve difficult and very complex technical problems.
- Must be able to manage multiple, changing priorities, resolve conflicts and be able to work well under pressure.
- Must be self- motivated, able to work independently and willing to self-teach and take responsibility for ongoing professional development.
- Ability to analyze and design software solutions to meet very complex requirements.
- Requires oral and written communication skills sufficient to communicate clearly with peers and customers.
We aim to protect our employees' wellbeing through a broad benefits offering. For example, we protect physical wellbeing through health, dental and vision insurance. We protect mental wellbeing through mental health benefits and an employee assistance program. We protect time away from work with a variety of paid time away benefits (e.g., paid time off, paid parental leave, short-term disability, and a cultural observance day). We protect financial wellbeing through contributions to healthcare accounts, a pension plan, and a 401(k) plan with Company matching. All employees are encouraged to protect their overall wellbeing by engaging in ProHealth Rewards, Protective’s platform to improve wellbeing while earning cash rewards.
Eligibility for certain benefits may vary by position in accordance with the terms of the Company’s benefit plans.
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees fully contribute and thrive. We have always been a values-driven culture. Doing the right thing and serving people are part of our DNA, and we believe that valuing and embracing different backgrounds and perspectives is what makes us unique.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
More Information on Protective Life
Protective Life operates in the Insurance industry. The company is located in Birmingham, AL. Protective Life was founded in 2022. It has 2912 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits and Life Insurance. To see all 50 open jobs at Protective Life, click here.
Read Full Job Description