SOX Compliance Manager at Opendoor
| San Francisco | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 7:48 a.m. (CST) on Wednesday, August 11, 2021
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
About the Role:
The SOX Compliance Manager will enhance the effectiveness, efficiency, and scalability of the company's processes, systems, and underlying internal control environment, whether through the SOX compliance efforts or by conducting special projects. This leader will have a firm grasp of financial reporting and SOX requirements and methodologies (risk assessment, controls design, testing strategies, etc.) and must have knowledge of process flow mapping, design and documentation of controls, controls testing, evaluation of control deficiencies, and remediation plans. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to effectively manage internal and external partners (process owners, external auditors, outsourcing partners), demonstrate proficient project management skills, superior communication (written and oral), and organizational skills. This role will report to Opendoor’s Director of SOX Compliance.
As a SOX Compliance Manager, you will:
- Manage the company’s end-to-end SOX program including internal stakeholders, outsourcing partner engagement economics, and work execution at each testing phase
- Lead the design and execution of risk-based assessments and control testing in accordance with SOX regulations; ensure testing results are appropriately documented and communicated, including detailed review of outsourcing partners’ execution of SOX procedures
- Facilitate control gap and remediation tracking and validate closure of issues
- Coordinate with external auditors on the annual SOX testing plan and ensure timely and smooth completion of SOX projects
- Provide routine training and support to process owners to ensure a thorough understanding of the SOX program, risk and control requirements
- Research and communicate best practices, identify areas for improvement, and provide effective recommendations and sound audit conclusions
- Collaborate with the Director of SOX Compliance to develop a long-term plan for internal SOX compliance and internal audit past 2021
- Champion risks and controls considerations, and enterprise-wide corporate governance concepts
- Act as a trusted advisor; fostering strong relationships with business and technology partners, and external auditors
We’re looking for teammates who have:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Certification in accounting and/or auditing required, including a CPA, CA, CIA, and/or CISA
- Proven experience in supporting the execution of an end-to-end SOX program and driving/supporting risk management initiatives enterprise-wide; Big 4 integrated-audit experience is required
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, COSO, PCAOB Auditing Standards, Sarbanes-Oxley, risk and controls standards, and business process best practices
- Skills, knowledge, and experience with IIA Professional Practices and Standards
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and presentation skills
- Strong planning, project management, and analytical skills; team player with the ability to proactively problem-solve, identify, advocate for and execute improvements
- Detail-oriented and accustomed to project work with tight deadlines and working in a fast-paced environment
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 70% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Our team celebrates our diverse backgrounds. We believe that being open about who we are and what we do allows us to be better. Individuals seeking employment at Opendoor are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Read Full Job Description