Solutions Architect at Planet (Remote)
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
- Use your experience to confidently deliver innovative solutions for Planet’s highest profile customers. Help customer stakeholders, from C-level executives to software architects, be wildly successful with their implementations of the Planet Platform.
- Apply your expertise in remote sensing and geospatial technologies to help Planet’s Professional Services customers be successful in their adoption of the Planet Platform.
- Architect solutions for Planet’s highest profile customers: align Professional Services projects to customer business and technology requirements and ensure that Professional Services teams are delivering exceptional customer value.
- Own the technical architectural oversight for multiple major projects with high visibility across Planet. Take on the work of project management and process oversight as needed. Lead the technical delivery of projects on time and under budget.
- Champion process (scrum, test driven development, source control etc).
- Write technical specifications and identify architectural risks before starting major projects. Go out of your way to reduce architectural complexity. Identify problems with project requirements and help the team course-correct around issues.
- Clearly communicate project timelines, scope and risks to the team.
- Assists in scoping new projects and in technical writing for proposals and project reports.
- Perform the high level architectural design and implementation of Professional Services software solutions on the Planet Platform. Build software tools, applications and customer demonstrations using Planet’s APIs and analytics endpoints.
- Own the customer success lifecycle for Professional Services engagements, from scoping and discovery, to project execution and delivery. On any day, you may find yourself writing requirements documents, applying your expertise in data analytics, collaborating with software engineers, leading a training event, or delivering solutions to a client.
- Champion Planet’s products and offerings in-person and via online assistance by providing training, presenting at conferences, writing technical tutorials, and publishing articles and videos.
- Collaborate with Sales to help close business opportunities, growing Planet’s customer base and usage of Planet data across vertical markets.
- Influence the direction of Planet’s products and offerings by gathering insights from customer engagements and the user community.
- Interact and engage with users in Planet’s Education and Research program to source novel customer applications and unique insights.
- Focus on new applications and use cases coupled with data, offerings and needs by collaborating with both internal and external actors.
Impact You’ll Own:
- As a Solutions Architect, you pride yourself on your technical aptitude, and problem-solving and analytical skills
- As a Solutions Architect, you are comfortable asserting your technical expertise with customers (C-level executives to software engineers) to drive innovation and successful solutions
- You have excellent communication skills and convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- You actively steer customer technical representatives to making the right technical decisions
- You have the ability to quickly learn unfamiliar systems & code bases
- You can handle the most stressful situations calmly
- You often suggest ideas for new applications and processes that can improve operations
- You're self-motivated
- Your ability to debug & triage complex problems is outstanding
- You work well independently or as part of a team
What You Bring:
- 5+ years experience working in a technical geospatial or remote sensing role.
- Extensive experience programming with Python to process imagery, manipulating vector data, interacting with APIs and building data processing pipelines.
- Expertise with QGIS, Esri software, GDAL or other common geospatial software.
- Familiarity with cloud-based architectures or machine learning.
- Demonstrated ability to lead customer engagements.
- Ability to run workshops or training sessions with users.
- Degree in GIS, Computer Science, Remote Sensing, Geography or a related field. An advanced degree is preferred.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Background in agronomy, or hands-on experience working in agtech or agriculture
- Expertise in Google Earth Engine
- Familiarity with statistical modeling and remote sensing spectral analyses
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $81,000 - $159,000. This role is eligible for bonus, commission and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-REMOTE#LI-AP1