New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Our IT team operates as a business partner proposing ideas and innovative solutions that enable new organizational capabilities. We collaborate internationally to deliver the services and solutions that help everyone to be more productive and enable innovation.
One of the key priorities for our Company is a significant focus on Data and its utilization as a Strategic asset to drive insights-driven decisions. The opportunity to accelerate our time to insights hinges on our ability to integrate, enrich and govern our disparate and evolving data sources, at speed and scale. The Foundation Data & Analytics ( FDnA) team's mission is to focus on driving these capabilities to increase utilization of Reusable assets and data within the organization.
We have an outstanding opportunity for an data and analytics solution architect who will thrive in a landscape and technology environment which is continuously evolving, requiring a technical expert who is collaborative, self-motivated, takes accountability and drives results.
FDnA Solution Architect will be responsible for defining and implementing a world-class architecture and influencing the development, enhancement, adoption, and utilization of all aspects of the data value chain including:
a) Data Ingestion of critical organization data to divisional priorities
b) Data Governance including but not limited to Data Marketplace, Data Quality, Data Risk Management
c) Advanced Analytics support including the right ecosystem to build and train models and deploy them for business outcomes
d) Value Realization with use of these Data Assets.
This role will also have significant interaction with our partners, suppliers, and various data & technology providers, so she or he must be a strong and results driven individual.
Successful candidate will demonstrate pharmaceutical domain knowledge in a global setting, willingness to listen, ability to communicate complex technical topics in a simple language to stakeholders of varied technical proficiency, and a bias towards action.
- Providing architecture guidance and thought leadership in developing and implementing vision and roadmap for Foundational Data & Analytics ( FDnA) capabilities across the entire data value chain from ingestion to insights.
- Defining, documenting, and communicating of FDnA standards, best practices and solution architecture to key business and IT stakeholders to ensure understanding and compliance.
- Taking ownership and accountability for architecture and solution efforts across various Divisional Data & Analytics initiatives including reviewing solution designs and participating in code reviews.
- Collaborating with stakeholders across other divisional & IT DnA teams , Technology Platforms & Cloud Engineering teams to drive standard architecture and best practices.
- Applying risk-based decision making to complex problems and consult with relevant subject matter advisors as needed to inform the decision. Operate with Integrity and ensure adherence with organization policies, quality assurance and data protection processes.
- Scanning the technology market landscape to assess fit and follows through with Innovation PoC and onboarding of pertinent solutions following our Company's IT Risk Management and Security (RMS) processes and in partnership with other stakeholders in the organization.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. or M.S. in IT, Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- 8+ years of prior working experience in the Data and Analytics space
- Expertise in architecting and implementing global data and analytics platforms and capabilities using modern cloud technologies
- Experience in solution design at the individual components/services/resources. Experience in AWS services is preferred .
- Prior work experience in Life sciences or Pharma domain and experience in solutioning for global regulatory requirements such as GDPR.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to quickly establish credibility and trust with a variety of stakeholders.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Prior working experience as a technical leader implementing and/or following Agile methodologies.
- High proficiency in architecting scalable and performant solutions across Data Management, Integrations, Visualization and Advanced Analytics including AI/ML.
- Multi-cloud Data solution capability, with special emphasis on AWS services.
- Certifications in one or more cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure) is a strong plus.
- Understanding of Global Pharmaceutical Sales and Marketing data domains is a strong plus.
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: