At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Software Project Engineer – Tactical Solutions
Ball Aerospace is looking to expand our team with a results-oriented software leader to guide a team on an exciting new project in a high-growth tactical area. This position consists of forming and leading a software development team, leveraging extensive project management skills and technical experience to achieve success, and contributing to proposal and strategic planning at the organizational level.
What You’ll Do:
- Software project planning, tracking and oversight, including cost and schedule responsibility, in support of government customers.
- Provide status, metrics, and regular updates to support program management.
- Provide task direction to and review work products of software engineers throughout the development lifecycle.
- Lead and motivate a team of 4-10 software developers through all phases of a project to achieve business results and ensure team satisfaction and professional growth.
- Maintain a strong technical understanding of the project baseline, trade studies, and assist with any issues encountered by the development team.
- Assist in planning and executing the strategies for productization, standardization, reuse, and growth.
- Support proposals through software project planning and estimating.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Relevant work experience with earned value, software cost estimating, and formal lifecycle practices (waterfall and agile experience preferred).
- Relevant work experience with leading and managing a team producing hardware/software products while negotiating the technical, cost, schedule and risk areas.
- Ability to apply sound software management principles to the development of software systems through the full lifecycle from proposal to delivery.
- Ability to operate at the system level and interface to other engineering disciplines.
- Previous experience in a software development role, preferably in real-time, embedded, or aerospace applications.
- Previous experience with LIDAR, camera, laser, pointing/tracking technologies preferred.
- A current, active Secret security clearance.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.