We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Salesforce, Sonos, Groupon, and Best Buy use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team, and we would love for you to join us.
Our web platform is built on React.js frontend and Elixir backend tied together by GraphQL APIs. We make heavy use of PostgreSQL for our storage needs and we host our platform on Heroku. Another core part of our offering are two mobile apps - iOS and Android - that are written in Swift and Kotlin respectively. We also employ WebRTC, Twilio, and WebSockets for live video streaming and use Python for NLP and media processing.
Over ten years and 45K commits later, we've maintained a tidy code base that is well documented and battle tested by tens of thousands of users.
You are an Engineering Manager with 2+ years of management experience (and 6+ years of overall experience in software engineering) who is people oriented and is passionate about growing and scaling high performance teams. Your main focus is on your teams, but you’re still technical and can help guide your teams' technical conversations and decisions. You love helping others grow, you’re comfortable with feedback, and feel at home in a goal-oriented environment.
Our Product & Engineering team is growing but we’re not a big company. We work collaboratively, move fast (we deploy to production many times a day), and we value technical quality. We’d be looking to you to lead our continued growth and evolution of our people, culture, and technology. If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
what you will do
You will be managing the Scout Web and Scout Mobile teams, which are focused on research participants (we call them Scouts). You will be working closely with the Product Manager and Director of Scout Ops to deep dive into data & analytics, drive analytical decision making, and deliver value to Scouts and business as a whole.
As an Engineering Manager, you will support the growth and career development of individuals, as well as foster a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative environment in which people do their best work. You will work across the Product & Engineering departments to lead a few teams delivering powerful solutions for our customers. You will be responsible for the technical execution and delivery of business value. You will collaborate across the department and the org, and apply the continuous improvement mindset to help grow, improve, and evolve our people, culture, process, and tech.
- Manage Scout Web and Scout Mobile teams
- Work closely with the Product Manager and Director of Scout Ops to drive analytics, decision making, and roadmap for both teams
- Create an inclusive environment where people can do their best work.
- Be a coach and mentor to the people you manage and help them grow their talent and advance in their careers.
- Conduct regular 1-on-1's, share feedback with your reports and with others you work with across the organization.
- Bring the continuous improvement mindset to your work, and own your teams' growth and delivery, making sure they are productive in both short and long terms.
- Build a deep understanding of how our products work and are built. Though you will not be expected to code, you will need to firmly grasp code and architecture concerns.
- Help guide your teams' technical decision making.
- Clear the road for your team by identifying and removing obstacles.
- Keep a constant pulse across the engineering department to ensure team satisfaction / health, continuous growth and learning, and overall alignment around goals.
- Work with the VP of Engineering to create hiring plans, improve and evolve our hiring process, and be an active interview team member.
what you need to have
- 6+ years in software development and web technologies with at least 2 years of management experience.
- Experience building & growing high performance teams and individuals.
- A track record of working through ambiguity, goal setting, and delivering business value.
- Solid understanding and experience with agile methodologies.
- Experience with conflict resolution.
- Experience in architecting and designing web applications using the latest technologies.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
We do our best to write realistic, accurate job descriptions, but we also recognize that great talent comes in many forms and from many backgrounds. Not sure if you meet all of the above bullets? Please apply anyway!
Note: As a result of COVID-19, the dscout team has decided to work remotely for the time being. However, we are now interviewing, hiring, and onboarding remotely for all open roles! While our office is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in, no current or future employees will be required to come back into our office at this time.
This position is open to candidates who are legally authorized to work in the United States and who will be located in the US by their start date.
what we provide
Here at dscout, we are a team of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
In addition to joining a smart and passionate team, you will get:
- A strong compensation package with bonus structure. Your success is tied to company success. We are all in this together.
- An incredible set of core benefits as well as a 401k with match, solid PTO policy, and generous company holidays. We are committed to supporting our team.
- Exposure to the inner workings of a growing company, including open, transparent communication within our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
- An education stipend. We are committed to helping build your future.
- A beautiful workspace along the Chicago Riverwalk, that is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in and working from there. Read more about our new office space here!
dscout is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity and expression, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.