Software Engineer at PayPal (Raleigh, NC)
At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
The Engineering Team: We are the Site Reliability Engineering Team (SRE) at PayPal. Our mission is to provide world class platforms, practices and services that ensure the customers see PayPal as the most reliable payments platform on the planet. We create solutions that prevent incidents. We enable visibility, insight and rapid restoration that ranges from the smallest detectable customer impact to the largest events outside our control. Our ethos is continuously improving our processes and automation. As the Change Reliability Team in SRE, our goal is incident prevention and reducing incident blast radius through high change reliability across all PayPal products and services. Our roadmap consists of many exciting projects like building predictive risk analysis for production changes, building progressive rollouts and auto rollbacks to enable continuous safe deployment, enhancing our canary analysis engine with deeper insights and custom business metrics integration.
A little bit about our team culture: •
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department - developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
You are a motivated software engineer who is passionate about making thousands of engineers productive by building internal products, automating at scale, and enabling DevOps. You are a self-starter, able to work solo and part of a cross-functional team. You thrive at simplifying hard problems and can articulate the solution to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
You will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining products and automation to support fast and safe production releases at PayPal.
We know there are endless tools in the software engineering toolbox, and we do not expect you to come in as an expert on everything. You will be learning a lot as you are exposed to new tools and technologies.
- 4-7 years software development experience in Java, with passion for code craftsmanship, quality and continuous improvement.
- Ability and desire to work in our collaborative environment and focus on building solutions utilizing an agile approach: pair programming and fluid interactions with product and operations teams, communicating and digesting real time feedback, and prioritizing to keep short term wins and long-term goals in mind.
- Solid understanding of cloud native design and security principles.
- Experience building and owning business critical distributed systems running on AWS or GCP or other public cloud. • High level understanding of Continuous Delivery best practices.
- Experience working with Java Spring Boot, Docker, Kubernetes, Splunk, SignalFX, Terraform is a plus.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal's core values include "collaboration, demonstrating integrity, trust, respect, empathy, innovation, wellness, and inclusion." These make up the principles that regulate the activities at PayPal.
At PayPal, we're committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can't do this without our most important asset-you. That's why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
We have great benefits including a flexible work environment, employee shares options, health and life insurance and more. To learn more about our benefits please visit https://www.paypalbenefits.com
Who We Are:
Click Here to learn more about our culture and community.
PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution for more than 20 years. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, the PayPal platform is empowering more than 400 million consumers and merchants in more than 200 markets to join and thrive in the global economy. For more information, visit paypal.com.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected].
As part of PayPal's commitment to employees' health and safety, we have established in-office Covid-19 protocols and requirements, based on expert guidance. Depending on location, this might include a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for any employee whose role requires them to work onsite. Employees may request reasonable accommodation based on a medical condition or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.