At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
We remain committed to maintaining a safe environment for hiring as we look forward to the future of work. Click here for information on Aerospace's COVID-19 directives and safety procedures implemented to keep our workplace safe.
Information Systems and Cyber Division (ISCD) staff couple the latest in information system technologies, such as elastic compute clouds, containerization, microservices, real-time operating systems, and visualization frameworks, with expertise in cyber security, software architecture, software engineering, process improvement, and software development to deliver responsive, resilient, high-performance software intensive systems to our IC, DoD, and civilian customers.
As part of ISCD, the Software Architecture and Engineering Department (SAED) develops and applies methods and tools to help build secure, resilient, and adaptable software for critical systems. We are seeking a software engineer to join our growing group as we advance the technologies needed to carry out a variety of space missions critical to our nation and the world.
What You'll Be Doing
- Apply and expand your software engineering knowledge and experience, incorporating Agile and DevSecOps methods and tools across the software engineering life cycle
- Work with your SAED teammates to develop software engineering and architecture strategies and plans for space, ground, launch, and mission processing systems
- Apply and develop model-based/digital engineering methods and tools to software, focusing on software architecture and interfaces
- Research and develop modeling and visualization capabilities to enable analysis of software system architecture characteristics, e.g., security, resiliency, and adaptability
- Support software modernization and migration to cloud environments
- Research and develop modeling and visualization capabilities to enable analysis of software
- Develop software architecture and engineering methods for AI/ML-based capabilities
- Study emerging technologies and develop methods to insert them into existing systems
- Prepare technical reports and deliver presentations on your work
This position can be filled as a Software Engineer or a Senior Software Engineer. Work can be done partially remotely and onsite in Chantilly, VA or El Segundo, CA.
What You Need to be Successful
Minimum Requirements for Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited program in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or closely related technical discipline
- Two or more years of experience in software engineering
- Knowledge of software life cycle activities (requirements/use case development, architecture, design, coding, testing, integration, verification and validation, deployment, maintenance)
- Interest in challenging, complex problems and excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective collaborator on diverse teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple simultaneous tasks and adapt to changing priorities
- Willingness to travel domestically up to 10%
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret security clearance
Minimum Requirements for Senior Software Engineer (Sr. Member of Technical Staff)
- All of the above requirements for Software Engineer
- Five or more years of experience in software engineering spanning the lifecycle, including use of modern approaches (e.g., Agile and DevSecOps), programming languages, and tools
- Exposure to model-based system/software engineering methods, languages, and tools
- Knowledge of/experience with cloud technologies and environments
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in a STEM field and/or continuing education courses or certifications related to the role
- Experience in secure software development/secure coding
- Experience in the space/satellite systems domain
- Knowledge of security considerations for cloud architectures
- Familiarity with architecture modeling languages, e.g., UML or SysML
- Skills in developing and evaluating artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) applications and integrating AI/ML into critical/conventional system architectures
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min - Mid - Max)
$67,573 - $117,940 - $168,307
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected] You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.