Software Engineer at Dentsu (Baltimore, MD)
Merkle is a leading technology-enabled, data-driven customer experience management (CXM) company across several key verticals. For 30+ years, Fortune 1,000 companies and leading nonprofit organizations have partnered with us to build and optimize strategic customer portfolio value. Our history positions us as a global leader in 1st-party, identify-driven marketing. With 12,000+ dedicated employees across 50+ global offices, Merkle’s growth rate continues to outpace the market, with 2021 global net revenue of over two billion.
Merkle is an agency of dentsu International. Dentsu’s mission is to help clients navigate, progress, and thrive in a world of change. Businesses rely on dentsu’s integrated network of agencies and specialized practices to champion meaningful progress through creative, media, commerce, data and technology. dentsu international comprises 66,000 diverse people in 143 countries.
Why Join Us?
Merkle is the leader in data-driven performance marketing. We help brands achieve tremendous competitive advantage. We thrive because we employ the best in the business. Merkle’s energy lives in everything we do, and it shows in the way we deliver to our clients. Click here to learn more about our culture. Additionally, we’re recognized as top global partners by some of the world’s leading technology firms including Google, AWS, Salesforce, Adobe and more.Job Description
We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, driven and technically proficient software engineer to help develop innovative applications. You will expand upon your current skill set through cross-disciplinary collaboration with some of the smartest and nicest people in the industry, while learning the inner workings of a fast-paced digital marketing agency. You will work closely with a team of developers in an agile software development environment to expand our cloud based cutting edge data insight and marketing solutions that conquer the big-data problem space.
- You love coding
- You love problem solving
- You constantly research and stay on top of the latest technologies & frameworks
- You’re excited by the idea of utilizing bleeding edge technologies to create unique solutions to solve problems
- You work well with others and have well-developed communications skills
- You enjoy collaborating with others to plan, design, & implement solutions
- You embrace agile methodologies and modern software development best practices
- You attack problems in a fearless, pragmatic and iterative fashion
- You are interested in working with big data and dynamically scalable systems
- You see the advantages to developing and hosting systems in cloud platforms such as AWS
- Drive innovation by collaborating with fellow developers and end users to rapidly produce critical features
- Follow Agile principles to continuously deliver increment value to our products within expected time frames
- Participate in the full software development life cycle from requirement gathering to application release
- Collaborate with architects and senior developers to design & implement technical solutions utilizing the latest technologies
- Advance our applications to a next-generation suite using Java/Python & Big Data technologies
- Follow development best practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and version control branching strategies
- Contribute to a collaborative, positive, and enjoyable environment for your development team
- The purpose of this role is to develop required software features, achieving timely delivery in compliance with the performance and quality standards of the company.
Key Skills and Experience
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
- Engineering or development background, 1+ years’ work experience, passion to code
- A desire to be challenged, solve problems and stay on top of the latest technologies and frameworks
- Good communication skills and the ability to work in a rapidly changing business environment
- Proficient with object oriented and functional programming principles
- Proficiency with Java and SQL
- Familiar with algorithms and data structures
- Understand code reusability, security and performance concerns
- Expertise with JVM based environments and garbage collection
- Knowledge of RESTful APIs
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, S3, DynamoDB, SQS
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code frameworks such as CloudFormation, Terraform, or Ansible
- Familiar with Test Driven Development
- Understanding of MapReduce principles
- Experience with other languages such as Python, Clojure, or Perl
- Comfortable working in Unix/Linux environments and with command-line tools
At Merkle, we have created a great place to work by sticking to our core belief that a great company is built around great people and great results.
dentsu “eight ways” shape and guide the way we do things here, so that, together, we can achieve the ‘never before’ for our clients, for society and for each other.
We dream loud.
We inspire change.
We team without limits.
We all lead.
We make it real.
We climb high.
We choose excitement.
We are a force for good.
We are dentsu.
Diversity is embedded in who we are and all that we do: our mindset, our solutions, and our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable environment. We put our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can thrive. Our differences make us richer and enable stronger relationships with each other and foster greater impact for our clients. We engage with our communities to drive positive social impact by fostering equity and working to create a digital society that works for all. Merkle, an agency of Dentsu (the "Company") is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee of the Company, based on age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done that will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing an undue hardship on the Company. Please contact [email protected] if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process or to request or discuss an accommodation in connection with a job at Merkle, a dentsu agency.
This job description is a summary of the essential functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description. Other duties, as assigned by the supervisor, might be part of the job. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis. No sponsorship is available for this position.