Software Engineer - Ubuntu Gaming Experience at Canonical (Portland, OR)
We are seeking Software Engineers to join the Ubuntu Gaming Experience team and be part of our mission to ship the best open source operating system in the world. This is an opportunity for a Software Engineer passionate about open source software and gaming on the Linux desktop. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
We are in an exciting time for gaming on Linux. Compatibility tools like Proton have matured and many native Windows titles can be made to work, massively expanding the library of titles available on Linux. Delivering a well rounded gaming experience is about more than just compatibility; it’s about maximising performance across a wide range of hardware, ensuring anti-cheat is robust and secure, making it easy to access tools for content creation, driver management and HUD overlays as well as ensuring game controllers, headsets, RGB keyboards and gaming mice are fully supported and customisable.
We want to make the widest selection of games "Just Work" on Ubuntu, and we are creating a team to focus on performance, compatibility and user experience for gamers. We want to create a platform that makes it easy for players to find the games they want, use the devices they own and share those experiences with friends.
In this role you will work with open source projects like Proton and partners like Unity to improve the gaming experience for Ubuntu users around the world, as well as the wider Linux gaming ecosystem in general. You will need to be effective working with low-level libraries, drivers, and the Linux graphics, sound and input stacks.What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team, on low-level, performance and security-critical software
- Integrate work from multiple partners into Ubuntu, ensuring reliability, security and performance
- Write high quality code in C, Python and C++, debug issues and produce high quality fixes
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
- You have experience with Linux input, sound, graphics, C and C++
- You are interested in working with OpenGL, Vulkan, Mesa, Proton, Wine, DXVK, and Direct3D
- You love to game and you understand the challenges facing gamers on Linux today!
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You are passionate about creating the best gaming experiences, open source, and solving complex problems.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.