Software Engineer in Test or Senior Software Engineer in Test, Create: Gitaly at GitLab
This Software Engineer in Test position for our Gitaly group is 100% remote.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere.
We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Software Engineer in Test at GitLab, you will be embedded in our Gitaly group.
You’ll be responsible for baking in a culture of quality and shifting test automation left in the cross-functional team, expanding on our existing test automation frameworks and test coverage across a range of configurations, and leading our test automation efforts on new features. Our department members are able to develop deep relationships across the organization through working groups, team member resource groups, and "the Quad" (our take on the three amigos methodology). You likely will feel less siloed at GitLab than in other organizations you've been a part of.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
We are committed to your career growth. We have quarterly career development check-ins and ensure time and focus is set aside for learning activities. Additionally, we offer $10k USD per year Growth and Development benefit for those who want to further their growth with professional courses, programs, or conferences.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.What you'll do in this role:
- You’ll work on test automation issues related to the Quality department, the Gitaly group, and the entire GitLab product. The work you’ll do will be transparent and open to the GitLab community.
- You'll have the opportunity to become an expert in Git as Gitaly is the service responsible for the storage and maintenance of all Git repositories in GitLab.
- You’ll develop new tests and tools for our GitLab.com frontend, backend APIs and services, and low-level systems like geo-replication, CI/CD, and load balancing.
- You’ll identify and drive the adoption of best practices in code health, testing, testability, and maintainability.
- You’ll work with engineers to define and implement mechanisms to inject testing earlier into the software development process.
- You’ll configure automated tests to execute reliably and efficiently in our CI/CD environments.
- You’ll work 1:1 with a Product Manager, and with the wider product and development teams to understand how new features should be tested and to contribute to automated tests for these new features.
- You’ll work in an environment where we aim to have a 1:10 ratio of Software Engineers in Test to Engineers.
- You’ve got at least a few years of professional experience developing in Ruby or working on a Ruby on Rails application.
- You’ve got experience with Docker.
- You’ve worked with industry-standard CI tools like GitLab CI, Jenkins, Bamboo, or Circle CI for example.
- You’re comfortable with Selenium-based test automation tools like Capybara or Watir.
- You’ve got experience with Git and its command line.
- You’re interested in growing your knowledge and skills in Test Environment Provisioning and Configuring (Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, GCP / AWS).
- You're interested in growing your knowledge in Performance testing tools such as (k6, Artillery, or Locust).
- You're interested in growing your skills in Golang.
- You know about clean code and the test pyramid, and champion these concepts.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, inclusion, belonging, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You'll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service are encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
We're aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we're looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
Our hiring process for this Software Engineer in Test position typically follows six stages. The details of this process can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.