Software Engineer - Telco - VNF/CNF Operator Development (Python/Kubernetes) at Canonical (Madison, WI)
Combine your interests in telco and open source software development in this exciting opportunity. We aim to deliver the worlds best open source telco solutions as an integrated, secure and reliable portfolio from Canonical. Our team, working mostly in Python, are building a collection of Charmed Operators that are operated on bare-metal, public cloud and Kubernetes using Juju. This role is primarily a software development role, but with a focus on delivering seamless software operations at scale.
As a member of the growing telco solution engineering team at Canonical you will help bring the cutting edge of open source software into the telecommunications sector. You and your team will develop state-of-the-art solutions to operate VNFs and CNFs on Kubernetes and major public clouds. In this role you will work with a variety of open source projects, including Open Source MANO (OSM), Magma, TIP, OpenRAN, ONF, OAI and more.
In addition to the engineering behind the network functions themselves, you'll have the chance to work with industry-leading teams inside Canonical to ensure your work is backed by rock-solid data stores, and highly observable using our Kubernetes-based Observability stack.What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a globally distributed team
- Write high quality Python and Go code to implement new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality fixes
- Review code and designs from other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with 2 to 4 weeks global travel for internal and external events
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have extensive software engineering experience with Python or Go
- You have experience in the telecommunications industry, preferably with MNOs or NEPs
- You understand VNF and CNF concepts and have experience with OpenStack or Kubernetes
- You have experience in automating the software product lifecycle with tools like Juju, Charms, Helm, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
- You are excited about increasing the open source footprint in the telecom world
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.