Software Engineer - Telco - Open Source MANO (Python/Kubernetes) at Canonical (Charlotte, NC)
Canonical's Charmed OSM team is looking for talented Python developers to join a globally distributed engineering team focused on delivering the best possible experience in NFV management and orchestration.
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, Telco, and OSM. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, the growing international software company behind Ubuntu.
Charmed OSM is an open-source implementation of the ETSI NFV MANO (MANagement and Orchestration) stack developed and maintained by Canonical. It is architected as a set of microservices written in Python. We aim to deliver the cleanest MANO solution to the market, and are growing the team to keep expanding its feature set and scale in order to meet its increasing demand.
This team is responsible for maintaining a collection of Charmed Operators that are operated on bare-metal, Openstack, VMware, public cloud and Kubernetes using Juju. This role is primarily a software development role, but with a focus on delivering seamless software operations at scale. You'll have the opportunity to contribute to Canonical's own software, and encouraged to work with the broader open source community to enhance the whole ecosystem.
In addition to the engineering behind the MANO platform itself, you'll have the chance to work with industry-leading teams inside Canonical to ensure your work is backed by rock-solid data stores, and highly observable using our Kubernetes-based Observability stack. You'll work with the broader OSM community, participating in "Hackfest" events, webinars and conferences.What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a globally distributed team
- Write high quality Python code following best practices to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Participate in OSM events like Hackfests or Webinars
- Work from home with global travel 6 to 8 weeks for internal and external events
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You have extensive software engineering experience with Python
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have passion for quality and testing
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux, Kubernetes, OpenStack, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD
- You are familiar with ETSI NFV standards
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.