Software Engineer - Python - Optimise Ubuntu for Public Clouds at Canonical (Atlanta, GA)
Canonical Ubuntu is the primary platform for public cloud computing, in part because we invest in the cloud user experience, cloud tooling, and optimise Ubuntu for each of the major public clouds. Making Ubuntu leaner, faster, more efficient and easier to use on the public clouds saves our user base a huge amount of time and money, and enables them to accelerate their work on the cloud.
We are the upstream lead for cloud-init, a critical tool in the world of cloud computing. Every cloud supports cloud-init, and it is a standard way to initialize and shape the behaviour of virtual machines on cloud infrastructure. You’ll work with the Ubuntu Server team alongside major cloud partners to help develop, test, and release improvements to cloud-init, and be a key voice in the cloud-init open source community.
This role requires quality-oriented software engineering in Python, an awareness of public cloud norms and expectations, and a focus on software performance. Excellent Python skills are required, with substantial contributions to open source Python projects preferred.
Applicants should be passionate about building tools that are used by millions of developers. A personal interest and emphasis on quality, documentation, and careful community coordination is important. Cloud-init is used beyond Ubuntu and the community is vast. Applicants should be ready to work with the community and help guide engineering best practices regardless of platform.What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code, with unit and functional tests, to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events, when it is once again safe to do so
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have extensive experience with Python on Linux
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: Ubuntu Linux - kernel or userspace, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Python, cloud computing, linux system fundamentals such as networking, storage, and security
- Bonus points if you have experience provisioning and managing instances on one or more of the major public clouds.
- Bonus points if you have experience driving an open source community
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.