Software Engineer, Platform, Observability at Invitae (Remote)
Invitae is a rapidly-growing genetic information company, whose mission is to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medical practice to improve the quality of healthcare for billions of people.
Invitae’s mission is groundbreaking for the industry and life changing for its millions of customers, the platform that Invitae runs on is essential to this success. The mission for our team is to create the systems upon which we build the rest of Invitae. The platform provides self-service tooling, automation, and application deployment technology to support Invitae’s efforts to expand genetic services.
The genetic testing space is moving and growing quickly. In support of the Invitae mission, our engineering team needs to continue to innovate quickly. The platform’s focus on scale, speed, and supportability enables this pace while keeping us lean and efficient. Ideas are judged on merit, teamwork is encouraged, success is shared; we do this together.
Engineers on our platform team come from a variety of backgrounds; including software engineering, devops and site reliability. We are looking for engineers who bias towards automation and systems design with a dash of production support.What you will do:
- Use groundbreaking, cloud-native, technologies like Kubernetes, containers, and service mesh to enable efficient development across the company.
- Build systems in Python, Go, and TypeScript to make your teammates’ jobs more comfortable and more fun.
- Make use of next-generation cloud services to build comprehensive experiences for engineering at Invitae.
- Set design principles and define shared patterns that engineers use across the company.
- Write structured, testable, readable, and maintainable code.
- Support your software throughout its lifecycle, from conceptualization to production.
- Support your teammates by continuing to learn and grow in an environment where failure is a part of learning, and being a novice is celebrated.
- Proven experience with full-stack architecture and engineering
- Experience in shipping multiple critically important systems to production
- Experience in supporting engineering teams and production systems
- A proven ability to learn new technologies and new programming languages
- A passion for personal and professional growth
- A desire to operate with freedom and accountability. A willingness to take risks and ownership of those risks.
- Excellent asynchronous communication skills. Experience with distributed, remote teams is a plus.
- Experience with architecture planning, complex system design, developing highly available systems, introducing fail safes into software and services
- Experience with a security focused approach with a focus on secure coding methods and standards
- Experience with observability (metrics, events, logs, traces) and pursuing that via either closed source paid for services or open source engineer driven approaches
- Experience with networking, covering aspects such as routing, IP addressing, peering, service attestation and authorization, software defined networking, and network based security solutions
- Experience with CI/CD, containerization best practices, automated testing, effective documentation practices
- Experience developing user interfaces, internal marketplaces, developer tooling, employee workflows and self service tooling
By joining Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s specialists in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. We’ve built a culture that empowers our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive pay in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.