Software Engineer, Payroll at Square (Remote)
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.Job Description
Much like Square revolutionized payments, Payroll radically alters how employees get paid, and businesses manage their finances. Our mission is to make running a business personal and straightforward by applying automation and an excellent user experience.
Our small, collaborative team has built many foundational features and is now focused on improving and experimenting beyond a traditional payroll product. We want to transform people's lives who make their living through our platform. We're a part of the Square ecosystem and use our position to build products and features beyond our competitors' capabilities.
You are a product-minded, customer-focused, full-stack engineer who can help take world-changing ideas from prototype to launch.
- Champion the needs of Payroll's small-business employer and employee-customer base through customer empathy, iteration, and service ownership.
- Write clean, testable, peer-reviewed code, which will be a model for the team around you.
- Contribute to the development and live operation of a distributed architecture.
- Collaborate with other engineers to provide quality, durability, and technical debt reduction, working directly with other Engineers, Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and other essential partners.
- Revitalize services and architectures which have outlasted their original implementations through refactoring, migration, and scale-ready, distributed architectural design.
- Safeguard the privacy, security, and trust of our customers' sensitive data throughout our implementations in partnerships with our Risk and Information Security teams.
- Add value to existing processes and implementations that allow us to ship quicker, fail faster, and isolate the blast radius of change pipelines.
- Work on a consumer-facing product that Employers and Employees use daily.
- 2+ years of industry experience
- A curious, passionate, growth-oriented mindset
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails
Bonus points if you also have:
- Software design experience with distributed architectures that have seen growth
- Familiarity with React
- Monitoring and observability expertise
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.