Software Engineer (PaaS) at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As an Engineer in DigitalOcean, the software you write will power applications for over a million users around the globe. You will help define the next generation of cloud services and create flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to support our growing customer base. Your solutions will make developers’ lives (both inside DO and in the ‘wild’) easier by building new systems and improving the efficiency and performance of existing systems.
If your passion is building products and systems customers rely on every day, DigitalOcean is the right place for you.What You'll Be Doing:
- Shepherd the architecture of your team’s solutions with your teammates
- Engineer solutions to business problems
- Create services that are performance and highly reliable
- Contribute to building and maturing engineering practices
- Take part in an on-call rotation
- Technologies we use: Kubernetes, Go, gRPC, MySQL, Redis, Kafka, and others
- Language: Demonstrated ability to develop, test, ship, and maintain, and operate production-ready code and systems (Go, a plus but not a requirement!)
- Experience contributing meaningfully to discussions on architectures, implementations, design patterns, and processes with the ability to succinctly convey ideas to peers and mentees
- Proficiency in software development methodologies
- Ability to navigate the complexity of distributed systems to operate them in production
- Experience working within a microservice architecture, with knowledge of both asynchronous, event-driven processing, and synchronous GRPC/HTTP based requests
- Comfortable with rapid execution, learning from failure, and building scale and reliability
- Strong opinions, weakly held
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!