[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]About Quora:
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.About the Team:
Our engineering team works on challenging problems to achieve our mission at scale. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. We iterate quickly by using continuous deployment, which means that every commit goes live on our production servers within minutes, no matter what time it is. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.About the Role:
To fully achieve our mission to share and grow the world’s knowledge, we need to make sure that the knowledge on Quora will improve and last forever. Revenue from our monetization efforts plays a critical role in empowering us to do that. Since we first launched our advertising platform, we've already grown to support thousands of advertisers who are reaching over 300 million monthly unique visitors on Quora. We have continued to build new products from the ground up and tackle exciting challenges at scale around audience targeting, low-latency real-time ad delivery, and a suite of advertiser tools to create and optimize campaigns, to name just a few. We're also expanding our monetization efforts beyond ads, including features to support creators on Quora.
As an engineer on the Monetization team, you'll work on efforts focused on generating revenue for the success of the company and mission to share and grow world's knowledge. As a member of a highly cross-functional development team, you'll build data-intensive applications, systems and new products that will unlock future monetization opportunities for Quora. This also includes defining, and shaping the experience of users, advertisers and businesses on Quora.
- Drive projects from ideation to production using the full technology stack.
- Work on a product team focused on monetization efforts at Quora.
- Architect, design, and implement features for our mission-critical online revenue platforms at massive scale with data-driven iteration.
- Identify high impact features that achieve engineering and revenue goals, and be able to explain rationale for your decisions.
- Work with Product Managers, Product Designers, Data Scientists, and fellow Engineers to implement new features and analyze their impact.
- Work quickly and effectively on multiple projects, prioritizing effectively to ship new features and scale up existing ones.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 2+ years of professional software engineering experience building consumer or enterprise web products
- 2+ years of professional experience using online storage systems such as MySQL or MyRocks
- Excellent coding skills with proficiency in Python, Java or similar programming language
- Ability to think holistically about a complex, social product, and map big picture metrics to a realistic, actionable plan
- 2+ years of professional software engineering experience for online advertising or related areas in monetization, subscriptions or marketing
- 2+ years experience with React and GraphQL
- 1+ years of experience building with open-source data infrastructure technologies, such as Kafka, Airflow, and Spark
- Passion for experimentation and new ideas
- Love of the Quora product
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure