Karat’s purpose is to Unlock Opportunity for engineers and companies alike, and our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable. As the world’s technical hiring expert, we help companies hire smarter and grow faster, and create more opportunities for software engineers. From our industry-leading solutions to Karat’s Brilliant Black Minds program, the work we do here matters. We’re a passionate, smart, and committed team, and we want you to join our mission!Come join our Technical Development team
Our Technical Development team is dedicated to the creation and testing of questions that are a part of the most predictive and fair technical interviews available to software engineering candidates. We are looking for software engineers that have a passion for how to accurately assess technical ability.
This would be an ideal opportunity for a software engineer that would rather work on directly crafting the questions asked during an interview and improving the way technical talent is assessed, rather than focusing on just writing code.What you will do
This Content Development Engineer will be focused on fairness and inclusion. You will be helping to advance our Brilliant Black Minds initiative. Karat partners with organizations and institutions that serve Black software engineers to invite participants into our free practice interview program. This will help prepare Black software engineers for future interviews based on the competencies that hiring managers are looking for.
- Build actionable prototypes and experiments to grow the approach, offerings and diversity of skill assessments
- Help build novel interview formats that reveal what the traditional non-diverse industry often overlooks
- Coordinate with program managers in Brilliant Black Minds program, Content Governance, Content Research, and Development Technical Program Managers to ensure the effectiveness and predictability of current and future skill assessments
- With a focus on fairness and inclusivity, evaluate and manage the processes that guide the content development team in the ideation, development, testing, and handoff of new technical skill assessments for interviews and coding challenges
- Assess viability and impact of experiments/prototypes; appropriately share learnings with the content development team
- Investigate and experiment with the goal of continuously:
- Removing bias from interviews
- Assessing for seniority level in interviews
- Creating more inclusive skill-based assessments for diverse backgrounds, skills, and abilities
- Constructing skill assessments around client values
- Building and launching assessments for a variety of non-coding topics (such as testing, program management, design or soft skills, communication, grit, and more
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field preferred
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- Experience with Diversity and Inclusion programs in the technology industry is highly desired
- Program management skills and experience working cross functionally is highly desired
- Experience interviewing software engineers at a variety of levels (college hire to leadership)
- Hands-on contribution to creating writing technical assessment content strongly desired
- Experience and/or passion for identifying and removing sources of bias
- Strong data analysis and scientific thinking skills
- Familiarity with HBCUs and minority serving institutions a plus
Karat’s HQ is based in Seattle, Washington, but we are open to remote candidates for this role (within the U.S.).Benefits of joining Karat
Karat strives to offer everything you need to best support you today, tomorrow, and beyond. We’re proud of our current offerings, and highlight some of our team’s favorites below. There are more, just feel free to ask!
Compensation / Time Off:
- Highly competitive salary and stock options
- Generous paid PTO (see below) and Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Flexible Time Off Policy for salaried positions
- Three weeks accrued per year for hourly positions
- Parental Leave (12 weeks paid with transition back to work in part-time capacity)
- 18 paid Company Holidays for 2021
Benefits / Wellness:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance via Cigna or Kaiser (for CA-based employees)
- 100% premium covered for employees
- 70% premium covered for dependents
- FSA, STD, LTD, Standard Life Insurance, and Optional Life Insurance
- Mental Wellness offerings such as Calm, Happify, Talkspace, Modern Health, and more
- $150 per month contribution to miscellaneous benefit/wellness of employee’s choice
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know at [email protected].