Software Engineer III, Distributed Systems at Bitly (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:39 p.m. (CST) on Friday, May 27, 2022
*** Must live in or be willing to relocate to one of the following states to be eligible for hire: New York, California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Louisiana, Texas, Arizona, Washington, or Colorado***
At Bitly, our mission is to empower businesses to create trusted, powerful, recognizable links that maximize the impact of every digital initiative. We are also proud of our community and culture. We are actively looking for team members who align with our vision, mission and values and who contribute to making Bitly a great place to work.
As a Software Engineer on the Distributed Systems team, you will contribute to scaling Bitly’s core systems by building the high-throughput and low-latency services that underpin our product. You will focus on system performance and availability as you become a crucial contributor to Bitly’s next architectural evolution. Additionally, you will partner closely with other engineering teams across the organization to ensure cohesiveness and adherence to Bitly's best practices.
Our Distributed Systems team works on challenging product- and infrastructure-focused problems. We support over 10 billion clicks and 5 Billion uniques per month from every country in the world and on every platform. To support our scale, our cloud consists of hundreds of servers, workloads, micro-services and real-time data streams.
What You'll Do:
- Design, build and maintain the core systems we need to support significant increases to current request volume on our platform
- Work within our service-oriented architecture to simplify and scale existing distributed datastores and systems
- Improve the way services are designed across our engineering team
- Support our 24x7 reliability and availability guarantees by participating in on-call rotations for services that your team builds and owns build and own
- Collaborate on a tightly focused team following Agile methodologies
- Cross train the wider engineering organization on the solutions you work on
- 4+ years of experience in backend and/or distributed systems engineering roles
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Significant experience building services in Golang (preferred), Python, C++, or Java
- Understanding of concurrency and system design best practices
- The core of our current toolset includes Golang, Google Cloud Platform, both Kubernetes (GKE) and Cloud VMs, Bigtable, BigQuery, NSQ for asynchronous message queueing, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Terraform, both Nagios and Google Alerting, Jenkins, OpenCensus, Memcache -- to name a few.
- Experience building highly available services on top of Google Cloud Bigtable, HBase or Cassandra
- Experience with Kubernetes, specifically Google Kubernetes Engine, and Terraform
- Experience with asynchronous message queues like NSQ (preferred), PubSub or Kafka
- Experience with multi-region system architectures
As such, any of the following are beneficial:
- Customer First. We are fiercely committed to our customers success. Our Job is to ensure that our trusted platform, performance, and people help customers achieve their goals
- Growth Focused. We are building a fast growing, healthy business powered by quick learning, constant optimization, and data driven decisions
- R.E.S.P.E.C.T. We are a team that respects each other and values diversity and inclusion. We treat others as we’d want to be treated and uphold the highest levels of integrity in everything we do
- >(!=) Greater than, not equal to. We are driven to win, bring our “A Game” to work each day and deliver exceptional results
- Do or Do Not, There is No Try. We say what we are going to do and we do it
- Competitive Salary + Stock Options
- Comprehensive and competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance (all LGBT friendly)
- 401k with up to 4% employer match
- One Medical membership: Doctors you can text, call or email 24/7 and receive access to expert insurance guidance where available
- Wellness reimbursement program
- Partial cell phone service reimbursement
- Voluntary LegalShield for legal services and IDShield for identity theft protection
- Unlimited vacation, personal time, and flexible work from home policies
- Full support for remote work during COVID-19, including a home office and separate WiFi stipend
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity and parental leave for growing families
- Budget for professional development opportunities, including courses and conference attendance
- Company sponsored volunteering opportunities (when it is safe to do so)
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
In keeping with our beliefs and values, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories,” Bitly also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, discrimination has no place at Bitly
More Information on Bitly
Bitly operates in the AdTech industry. The company is located in New York, NY. Bitly was founded in 2008. It has 223 total employees. To see all 6 open jobs at Bitly, click here.
Read Full Job Description