At Earnest, we believe in a world where paying for your education takes less time than earning your degree. Join us on our mission to empower anyone seeking higher education to reduce the total price tag of their degree, supercharge their ability to pay down student debt, and get on the right financial track fast.
A little background on Earnest: We're a remote first FinTech company with an accomplished team who believe consumer lending can be radically improved and are doing something about it. We are disrupting the trillion dollar student loan industry by redefining what it means to be creditworthy. We created a company that combines data science, streamlined design, and technology to:
- Build products that simplify the lending process
- Personalize loans to suit the needs of our customers
- Engage with our customers through more human experiences
What makes an “Earnie” culture:
Earnies define our culture as:
- Earn Happy Customers
- Our success comes from anticipating their needs and providing the solutions they’re looking for.
- Better is Better
- The path to great means getting better every day. We push ourselves, and each other, to remain curious and think differently.
- PhD in Moving Fast
- Our customers are tired of long wait times and large student loan bills so we constantly seek out ways to deliver faster.
- Passion for Challenges
- Perseverance and optimism are just the start to take on the inertia of a national trillion-dollar problem.
- Impact is a Team Sport
- We maximize our impact when we act as one team.
Our Earnie's are fun, innovative, and willing to roll up their sleeves to help their team succeed in a fast-paced environment. If this sounds like you, and you want to join us on our mission to radically disrupt a trillion dollar fintech industry, keep reading to find out how.
As a Software Engineer at Earnest you’ll build the software that is revolutionizing consumer lending, automating the loan approval process and orchestrating the transfer of billions of dollars. In addition to the $3+ billion in loans actively serviced, we build tools to maximize Earnest's growth while providing the best possible client experience. Our focus is on building an extensible, modern platform that allows us to move faster over time. This means a willingness to rethink domains from first principles and an ability to collaborate well across technical and non-technical teams. You will report to the Engineering Manager and will also work on the following:
- Build customer-facing software products and solutions using Node.js, Scala, TypeScript, React/Redux, Angular, Sequelize, PostgreSQL, and Docker
- Document technical designs in Confluence using proven software design principles and diagrams (e.g. sequence diagram)
- Troubleshooting, identifying, and fixing defects through standard techniques such as debugging, profiling, logging, log analysis via Splunk, tracing reproduction steps and using tools such as FullStory to replay user sessions
- Monitor deployment of code to Staging and, eventually, Production environments using Jenkins. Work with Quality Engineers to address any issues found in testing.
- Attend and participate in various agile software development process meetings such as daily standups, sprint reviews, sprint retrospectives, sprint planning and software effort sizing
- Document, decompose and size project stories in JIRA into development tasks that yourself or other developers can take ownership of and code per the stated acceptance criteria
- Review and provide critical feedback on Product Requirements Documents (PRDs), Epics, and Stories written by Product Managers in JIRA.
- Provide recommendations to Product Manager, Director, or Tech Lead on alternative product or technical solutions that would optimize the proposed product feature in terms of speed of delivery, superior customer experience and/or cost saving.
- Provide coding and architecture feedback to other engineers using Github or through pair programming.
- Onboard new engineers to the team by sharing best practices and keeping team documentation (in Confluence, or Github) up-to-date.
- Provide rotating on-call support for production application software system(s) that comprise Earnest’s customer facing and internal lending systems. During on-call support the Senior Software Engineer is responsible for responding to system alerts, triaging the problem via Splunk log and dashboard analysis, New Relic system and application monitors and AWS Cloudwatch monitors to determine the severity and priority of the problem. Ultimately the Software Engineer is responsible for either fixing the problem or escalating to other application support teams as appropriate.
Ideal background and expertise:
- 1+ years of experience with responsive web development and mobile-first designs
- 1+ years of hands-on experience in development of highly performant services / microservices preferably in Node.js
- An understanding of how the web works and ability to weigh the pros and cons of different implementations or architecture decisions
- Interest in things that make us work better as a team, such as developing shared tooling and maintaining web best practices
- Familiarity with technologies such as Docker and NGINX
Earnest believes in enabling our employees to live their best lives. We offer a variety of perks and competitive benefits that include:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Work anywhere in the U.S.
- Mac computers + work from home stipend to set up your home office
- Monthly internet and phone reimbursement
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Robust tuition reimbursement program
- $1,000 travel perk on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world
- Competitive days of annual PTO
- Annual “my day”
- Pet insurance!
- Competitive parental leave
- Plenty of Earnest swag, optional in person team gatherings, picnics, celebrations, and plenty of fun virtual events
At Earnest, we are committed to building an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging enables us to move forward with our mission. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage anyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.