Software Engineer II-Backend-Java-Austin & Dallas at H-E-B (San Antonio, TX)
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 420+ stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $34 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 145,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital builds the tech that feeds Texas.
Come join us at H-E-B Digital and be a partner in building the next generation of digital innovations that enhance how Texans find inspiration from food, make food decisions, and ultimately get food into their homes. We're using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the evolving needs of our growing audience.
Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption-like Curbside and Home Delivery-so you'll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you're someone who enjoys collaborating with engineers with diverse backgrounds and skills to solve new challenges, working in a dynamic environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we're hiring across the stack: front-end web and mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. For more information, visit digital.heb.com
At H-E-B, we hire first for problem-solving and growth mindset. We do not expect you to have experience with all of these technologies; a few specific experiences and a desire to learn in this direction are most important. If you are in doubt, please apply anyway!
What we are looking for
- Enthusiastic individuals looking for fun, camaraderie, challenges, and opportunities to mentor others while growing their career
- 2+ years of application development experience
- We work most often with Java and Node.js with Typescript. We're still interested if you have equivalent experience in other general purpose programming languages.
- We work most often with relational databases like MySQL and event-streaming with Kafka. We're still interested if you've used other persistence and adjacent technology like Redis, Postgres, DynamoDB, and ElasticSearch.
- Ownership mentality and can produce quality results with guidance
- Enjoy learning new technologies as they emerge
- Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals: data structures and algorithms
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git, JIRA, Confluence, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or comparable field, or equivalent self-study
What you'll do (Design & Development)
- Operate independently with assistance from more experienced developers as needed
- Participate in the full SDLC; including development, estimation, planning, and design applications
- Deliver moderately complex code solutions
- Contribute to overall system design, architecture, security, scalability, reliability, and performance of applications
- Build on experience working with Docker, Linux, AWS, Terraform, and APIs using REST and GraphQL.
- Support the build and deployment pipeline; may assist in diagnosing / solving production support issues
- Support technical design and delivery of complex features across multiple systems as H-E-B improves the user experience Help create documentation and training related to technology stacks and standards within assigned team
- Use / contribute to the refinement of Digital Engineering- related tools, standards, and training
- Engage / collaborate with external technical teams to ensure timely, high-quality solutions
- Engage with shared services teams and vendors when necessary
- Provide end-to-end support to applications
- Immediate eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online starting Day One
- Parental Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Adoption Assistance
- Family Planning Assistance through Progyny's fertility specialists
- Access to LGBTQ-focused healthcare concierge
- Access to H-E-B's full service, affordable primary care practice H-E-B Wellness Primary Care
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through an online discount program
- Flexible work opportunities including WFH and hybrid options
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $34 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 145,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.