Software Engineer I (Cloud Data Stores) at The Walt Disney Company (Hartford, CT)
DMED Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and the Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence, DMED Technology helps DMED and The Walt Disney Company optimize technology, platforms, and resources, bring creative ideas to life and create industry-shaping approaches.
The individual in this position will join the Engineering Services Infrastructure Data Stores team in an exciting and fast-paced environment where they will help build and maintain highly available relational database systems operating across multiple cloud environments. These databases support many of the systems powering DMED's digital media supply chain and consumer facing products.
We're looking for an individual who can apply software engineering principles to database engineering and administration to build processes and automation to help deliver infrastructure faster, safer, more consistently, and with the right level of observability required to operate at scale.
- Responsible for building, deploying, and ensuring all DMED database infrastructure is available 24/7/365.
- Leverage software development and automation to design, modernize, and deliver database infrastructure.
- Analyze, design, and deploy fault-tolerant, distributed, and highly available database infrastructure.
- Proactively plan and implement infrastructure changes through capacity forecasting, software release cycles, and right sizing.
- Provide database expertise through performance tuning, troubleshooting and administration.
- Develop, enhance, and adhere to engineering and administration standards.
- Develop automation and tooling to increase operational efficiency while ensuring system reliability and security.
- Build infrastructure and systems for scalability, resiliency, availability, and recovery though infrastructure as code and configuration management.
- Provide relevant insights of data store infrastructure through metrics, monitoring, and alerting.
- Maintain thorough and well-written documentation.
- Participate in live event support and on-call rotation.
Basic Qualifications :
- 2+ years of related work experience with relational database systems including PostgreSQL, MySQL, Amazon RDS, and Amazon RDS Aurora.
- Experience working in Agile software development.
- Experience with source control management tools (Git, GitLab, GitHub).
- Intermediate to advanced level of expertise in one or more programming languages such as Python, Java, or Go.
- Experience running, deploying, and maintaining production cloud infrastructure in Amazon Web Services.
- General understanding and experience with Linux operating system, network, and containers.
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, CloudFormation).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience operating within a database reliability engineering (DRE) and/or systems reliability engineering (SRE) role.
- Experience with Azure SQL and Azure SQL MI.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle.
- Experience building a proper path to production leveraging multiple lifecycles, testing, integration, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience running, deploying, and maintaining production cloud infrastructure in Azure and GCP.
- Experience with configuration management (Ansible, Chef).
Required Education :
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training or work experience.