Software Engineer (Hybrid) at Protective Life
| Birmingham, AL
Sorry, this job was removed at 10:47 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, May 3, 2022
The work we do has an impact on millions of lives, and you can be a part of it.
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
This is a hybrid role which allows the flexibility of working from home a few days a week, and from our Birmingham campus a few days a week. Your work location will ebb and flow depending on you and your family's needs, as well as the needs of the team. When on-site, you will love working from one of Alabama's most beautiful, and technologically advanced professional campuses.
Protective Life is searching for a Software Engineer to join the Licensing, Contracting and Compensation team of the Information Technology department. This team is responsible for maintaining contract information on our agents and the calculation and payment of agent compensation.
Success in this role requires leadership ability among peers, excellent oral and written communication skills, and effective collaboration with others, both internal and external to the team and company. The candidate should be self-motivated and show an inquisitive nature, seek improvements, and demonstrate strong accuracy and attention to detail. Other abilities include accepting responsibility and accountability for your own job and performance, demonstrating independent work behaviors, and having decision-making skills to achieve desired results. A successful candidate should have a desire to challenge others and be challenged to foster the best outcome.
Your day-to-day (but don't worry, we'll keep it interesting)
- Primary focus will be on working on a team developing, implementing, and testing a next generation agent compensation system.
- The Software Engineer is responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting software applications.
- Works closely with business analysts and customers to gather requirements to ensure the customer’s business needs and expectations are met in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Diagnoses, isolates, and debugs software problems and provides resolution.
- Prepares and modifies technical documentation.
Your Strengths and Abilities
- Be able to manage multiple, changing priorities, resolve conflicts
- Be self-motivated, able to work independently and willing to self-teach and take responsibility for ongoing professional development
- Requires oral and written communication skills sufficient to communicate clearly with peers and customers
- Ability to perform reviews of other developers’ code and provide sign off and or constructive feedback
- Experience in agile methodologies is a plus
- Experience with automated testing is a plus
- Experience with automated UI testing frameworks (Selenium or similar)
- Experience with Bootstrap or similar CSS frameworks
- Knowledge of responsive design principles
- Experience with Distributed and Asynchronous Design and Development
- Experience with CI/CD processes
Required Skills (and a whole lot of acronyms)
- Visual Studio
- Webservices (ASP.NET Web API, WCF, SOAP)
- ASP .Net MVC 5+
- SQL Server 2008+
- Unit testing
- Ability to build dynamic user interfaces from scratch based on mockups and detailed requirements
What a typical qualified applicant looks like
- 5+ years software development experience
- 3+ years .NET development experience
- Experience in SQL database development
- Typically, a post-secondary degree, preferably in Management Information Services, Computer Science or Math related field may substitute for work and/or technical experience
We aim to protect our employees' wellbeing through a broad benefits offering. For example, we protect physical wellbeing through health, dental and vision insurance. We protect mental wellbeing through mental health benefits and an employee assistance program. We protect time away from work with a variety of paid time away benefits (e.g., paid time off, paid parental leave, short-term disability, and a cultural observance day). We protect financial wellbeing through contributions to healthcare accounts, a pension plan, and a 401(k) plan with Company matching. All employees are encouraged to protect their overall wellbeing by engaging in ProHealth Rewards, Protective’s platform to improve wellbeing while earning cash rewards.
Eligibility for certain benefits may vary by position in accordance with the terms of the Company’s benefit plans.
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees fully contribute and thrive. We have always been a values-driven culture. Doing the right thing and serving people are part of our DNA, and we believe that valuing and embracing different backgrounds and perspectives is what makes us unique.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
More Information on Protective Life
Protective Life operates in the Insurance industry. The company is located in Birmingham, AL. Protective Life was founded in 2022. It has 2912 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability Insurance, Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits, Health Insurance Benefits and Life Insurance. To see all 55 open jobs at Protective Life, click here.
Read Full Job Description