Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
Since Opendoor first started operating in 2014, we’ve learned a lot about buying, managing, and selling real estate. The Homebase unit with Opendoor aims to share our learnings by offering our technology and processes to institutional single-family-home investment partners. Homebase is building a modern platform for transactions, offering a wide range of services such as brokerage and title.
About the Role:
What you should expect as a software engineer working on Homebase — maximum agency, tight feedback loops with customers, and no shortage of problems that directly translate to business value! As a member of the team, you will have the opportunity to design, build and ship massive data pipelines, complex workflow management systems, and software tools that enable Homebase to operate at a scale that would otherwise not be humanly possible. Our products are built with Python, Typescript, and React, though we occasionally also work on services written in Ruby, and Go.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Contributing to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and production
• Building products, tools and services from scratch, as well as evolving existing systems
• Applying your technical expertise to guide the team in making intelligent and pragmatic design decisions[
• Partnering with product managers, designers, and operators to identify and solve customer pain points
• Hiring and mentoring other engineers on the Homebase team and across Opendoor
We’re looking for teammates who have:
• A track record of approximately 2+ years building and delivering production quality software systems
• Excellent communication skills — clear written and oral communication is important to our ability to operate as a remote team
• Strong engineering fundamentals — we don’t require knowledge of specific languages or technologies; instead we value transferable experience writing & debugging code, scaling existing services, and designing/architecting new software systems
• A strong sense of ownership and customer empathy — we work very closely with our internal and external customers, and maintaining positive working relationships with them is paramount to the success of our business
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 85% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Read Full Job Description