[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]About Quora:
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.About the Team:
Every day, millions of people seek answers and share their knowledge through Quora. To foster this marketplace of knowledge, we need to build systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn't know you had, on topics you didn't know you liked, and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet.
The Product Engineering teams focus on growth, engagement, and activation. This work includes how we distribute content to the right people, how we curate content on Quora, and how we engage new users, writers, and readers. This also includes defining, shaping, and changing the fundamental dynamics of Quora, to create a compelling and cohesive experience for users to share and grow knowledge.
Full-stack product engineers work closely with cross-functional members to drive product decisions, designs, and implementations. We strive to build scalable, reliable, user-friendly, and highly personalized products for our 300 million+ monthly unique visitors on Quora.
For a software engineer on the growth team, we especially value:
- Growth mindset - You will continuously propose, test and reassess growth experiments, and drive decision-making to both iterate quickly and maintain high technical standards of maintainability.
- Autonomy - You will be able to show initiative and get things going without too much guidance.
- Agility - You will need to be comfortable with experimentation, learning from varieties of approaches and quickly iterating on different ideas.
- Develop full-stack web applications with Python, TypeScript, React, GraphQL, etc.
- Design and implement core product features to support the next phase of growth of Quora, such as sign-up/log-in experience, SEO, user acquisition, and other growth initiatives
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, data scientists, and other engineers to prototype and implement functionality and analyze the impact
- Drive system stability and product excellence
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 1+ years of professional software development experience building consumer or enterprise web products
- Backend development experience with storage systems such as MySQL, PostgresSQL, HBase, or Redis
- Web frontend development experience; React, GraphQL, TypeScript experience is a plus
- Good coding skills with proficiency in Python, Java, Ruby, Go or similar programming language
- Ability to think holistically about a complex, social product, and map big picture metrics to a realistic, actionable plan
- Experience with data-driven product decision-making
- Passion for using A/B testing tools and running A/B experiments to drive business metrics
- Excellent communication skills to ensure that both your project and its dependencies are successful
- Love of the Quora product
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure