Software Engineer, Data (Remote) at Caribou
At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
In the last year alone, we grew revenue by 5x and raised a $50M Series B. We’re built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries, and we’re proud to be backed by a great team of venture capital investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for a Software Engineer, Data to drive data as a first-class citizen across the company. You will be part of the Data Engineering team, building our foundational data platform, pipelines, and integrations to formulate multiple high-level, high-visibility business decisions and intelligence. You will mentor, train, and share data engineering best practices with others within engineering and analytics departments. You will participate in defining and championing architectural choices to implement self-service analytics and data requests, retaining data quality and trustworthiness, and providing consultative feedback to other teams in designing and modifying data models. You will leverage Airflow, BigQuery, and other tools comprising our modern data stack. The Software Engineer, Data will:
- Compile SQL queries using dbt models to share across BI dashboards.
- Design data pipelines using Airflow DAGs to export data from our data warehouse and hydrate third-party APIs and datastores.
- Structure and maintain data marts in BigQuery to support stakeholders in understanding their specific needs using the context of the data lake across our entire company.
- Respond, triage, and fix data quality and observability issues to maintain stakeholder trust in company data.
- Provide constructive and actionable feedback on data-related initiatives to keep upstream data from other engineering teams plentiful and high-quality.
- Build world-class internal data tools and frameworks.
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC; Denver, CO; Austin, TX. Alternatively, the Software Engineer, Data may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position.
You are passionate about data, and love to build data platforms, pipelines and integrations. You most likely identify with many of these qualities:
- 2+ years of work experience working in the domain and tech described above.
- Crisp, clear, and effective communicator in writing, speaking, and coding.
- Collaborator who thrives in a social environment and contributes to enhancing and evolving current processes, so we can succeed as a team.
- Empathetic and considerate of not just first-order, but second-order and third-order effects of actions taken or not taken.
- Delivers high-quality work quickly, with confidence, and with a high degree of intentionality.
- Thinks and operates from the architectural level down to the details. Balances measuring twice and cutting once, while also always having a plan B for new situations.
- Curious and hungry learner who can apply and share knowledge and a growth mindset to both work and colleagues.
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive compensation: $130-$150k annual salary
- Equity in a high-growth company
- 401k savings program with 3% company contribution
- Generous paid time off including: 20 days accrued PTO per year, 14 annual company holidays, 16-weeks paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and volunteer day
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plans for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Our Tech stack is not limited to this list but gives you a general flavor of our ecosystem: Rails, Kong, Airflow, Python, Node (NestJS), Typescript, GraphQL, Postgres, Google Cloud Platform, Argo CD & Workflows, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.