Grammarly offers a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely. Teams will meet in person every quarter in one of Grammarly’s hubs, currently in San Francisco, Vancouver, New York, and Kyiv. To ensure that teams are able to overlap in their working hours and to meet face-to-face when needed, all team members need to live within three time zones of their direct team.
Grammarly team members who will be collaborating at our Kyiv hub must be based in Ukraine.The opportunity
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Software Engineer with a keen interest in Clojure and natural language processing (NLP), and a background in JVM-based languages and distributed systems, to join our Core Language team. The majority of the problems Grammarly’s NLP team is tackling haven’t already been solved elsewhere, which provides the opportunity for creativity and innovative problem-solving. This individual will build high-load services for NLP and provide tooling for computational linguists and applied researchers.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.Your impact
As a Clojure Software Engineer, you will have the opportunity to harness your passion for building exciting new product offerings that will impact millions of lives. You will need to stay up-to-date on the quickly evolving field of NLP while also focusing on building production systems.
In this role, you will:
- Create and own services for our NLP infrastructure that serves millions of users every day.
- Tackle architectural and design challenges to help our systems scale effortlessly while keeping the complexity in check.
- Implement fault-tolerant and well-monitored solutions that meet the demand for excellence.
- Work with a team of computational linguists, researchers, and software engineers to build a variety of natural language processing solutions.
- Contribute to the technical culture of the company.
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Has 3+ years of experience in any JVM-based programming language.
- Aspires to learn Clojure and use it every day.
- Understands the principles of building reliable distributed systems.
- Has experience working with public clouds: AWS and GCP—Terraform would be a plus.
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, and more.
- Relocation support: We can help you relocate to Kyiv and make the experience smooth and easy. Grammarly provides a relocation bonus, legal and visa support, temporary housing, moving support and travel expenses, assistance in finding schools for your kids—and all other information you might need.
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Ukraine, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered at the Kyiv hub to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.