Software Engineer, Backend Platform at Squarespace
The Backend Platform engineering teams design software platforms that are scalable and reliable - from building out microservices frameworks to content rendering. These platforms are used by product engineering teams to provide an amazing experience for our customers. As a member of the platform organization, you will work with engineers across the company to develop and enhance platforms that serve Squarespace customers.
We are hiring engineers to support our Core Platforms team. We are looking for engineers to help us develop our protection platforms (such as anti-abuse and data privacy systems) and our communication platforms (such as our email delivery ecosystem and mobile notifications). We are focused on developing solutions that empower Squarespace's product teams and help keep our customers safe. You will report to the Core Platforms Engineering Manager based in New York.
- Write testable, readable and maintainable server-side code that will be used by multiple engineering teams across the company
- Participate in platform level architecture discussions and decisions
- Work with senior engineers to design and implement platform systems
- Set coding standards and collaborate with other engineers and teams to ensure the successful adoption of best practices
- Collaborate with other engineers and teams to ensure the seamless rollout of platform features and optimizations
- Analyze and profile frameworks and endpoints to identify and fix latency and bottlenecks
- Improve the developer experience for other engineers that use the platform
- Refactor existing components and code paths into clearer, standardized, documented, and testable modules
- Want to work on platform scalability, reliability, and performance
- Have been programming production systems in Java or any other OOL for at least a year
- Understand different data structures and how they can be leveraged to optimize algorithms
- Are curious and ask a lot of questions to understand why things are the way they are
- Are passionate about code quality
- Are interested learning from and working with experienced engineers
- Have experience or an interest in optimizing inefficient APIs, code paths, or database queries
- Have experience building a web application and using SQL or NoSQL databases like MongoDB, MySQL, or PostgresSQL
If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all of the above qualifications.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.