Software Engineer, Backend, Core Services at Density (Remote)
Sorry, this job was removed at 7:14 p.m. (CST) on Friday, June 10, 2022
At Density, we build one of the most advanced people sensing systems in the world. The product and infrastructure is nuanced and one-of-a-kind. Building this product for scale has been an exercise in patience, creativity, remarkable engineering, laser physics, global logistics, and grit. The team is thoughtful, driven, and world-class.
Density systems are real-time, accurate, and anonymous by design. We help today’s largest companies understand how their buildings get used. We have counted hundreds of millions of people.
Counting people in “real-time” is unique and particularly hard to achieve. It allows a user to walk into a room, beneath our sensor, and see the room’s occupancy increment 700ms later.
Today alone, Density will ingest over 1m events. In the coming year, our sensor network is on track to grow ten-fold. The overall system load is exploding. Maintaining our low latency standards requires an increasingly thoughtful system.
We’re architecting infrastructure where annual, unscheduled downtime is measured in minutes. We’re building intelligent redundancies so missed events are an oddity. We’re constructing an exceptional engineering team to support always-on, intelligible analytics generated on the fly.
As a Backend Engineer at Density, you will be joining not only a team, but a company, that highly values you and the work you do.
This role reports to our Director of Software Engineering.
You can read our values here.
What we're looking for:
- You have 5+ years experience shaping highly scalable enterprise systems. Or can demonstrate similar proficiency.
- You have a command of technologies like Go, Python, Django, gRPC, TimescaleDB, Redis, Kafka, Postgres, and AWS.
- You have architected complex data pipelines, APIs, and data delivery mechanisms.
- You have had significant senior responsibility for monitoring, profiling and improving system performance.
- You have demonstrated the ability to navigate the nuanced needs of internal tools and customer facing systems.
- You can balance a demanding workload, discern priorities, and communicate tradeoffs effectively.
- You are resourceful, direct, helpful, driven, and mission-oriented.
- You have an understanding of statistical analysis and trend data modeling.
- You have worked with container orchestration technologies like kubernetes or nomad.
- You embrace the opportunity to share your knowledge.
- You have an excitement for and ability to interact directly with customers.
- You have an awareness of your weak spots and a genuine desire to improve.
- You’re looking for a long-term role with a company that has long-term ambition.
What we bring:
- A team hailing from places like Apple, LinkedIn, Stripe, Cisco Meraki, Hashi Corp, WeWork, NASA, & beyond.
- $227 million raised from investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, and Upfront Ventures.
- A work environment full of fun, smart, talented, dedicated, and truly kind teammates.
- Our values are be humble, seek feedback, and always solve the fundamental problem. These values are hard to achieve but we aspire to them daily.
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, mental and reproductive health, 401K, equity, Flex Fridays, Remote Friendly, unlimited and mandatory PTO and more.
We are looking for candidates who are strong in several areas and have exposure to or interest in the others. Most of all, we are looking for candidates who see themselves as a meaningful addition to Density’s team and culture.
More Information on Density
Density operates in the Analytics industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA, New York, NY and Syracuse, NY. Density was founded in 2014. It has 151 total employees. To see all 6 open jobs at Density, click here.
Read Full Job Description