Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a highly capable software engineer to join our Android team. You will be responsible for building features that deliver meaningful and accurate results conveyed with a cutting edge user experience.
You have built and published an Android app. You enjoy making beautiful designs a reality and cleanly separate your business and UI logic. You are passionate about Android development. When the Android platform docs are unclear, you remember why you love open source and dig into the code. Though you love Android, you're excited for the opportunity to work on iOS as well. You thrive in a collaborative environment and jump at the opportunity for cross-functional problem solving.
You want to make a better Internet for everyone. You already use Ookla’s tools to check your broadband or mobile data performance, now you have a chance to be a part of the team that produces them.
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here]Expectations for Success
- Develop and maintain features of our Android applications on a variety of form factors (phones, tablets, TVs). This includes design, implementation, testing, deployment, documentation and maintenance.
- Solve for reliability, scale and flexibility, all the while implementing a visually rich and slick user experience.
- Integrate analytics to ensure optimal performance of deployed code.
- Collaborate on architecture, technology choices, and interactions with other core components such as shared libraries, backend APIs or our distributed server network.
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 3+ years of professional Android application development experience, including experience with the application submission and review process.
- Expertise in Java or Kotlin with a solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Solid understanding of multi-threading and concurrency, including Java threading primitives, java.util.concurrent, Looper/Handler, io.reactivex.Scheduler, coroutines, etc
- Enjoy writing unit, integration, and user interface tests.
- Proficiency with collaborative development workflows (branches, PRs) and continuous integration practices and frameworks
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic.
- Experience with C++ or JNI.
- Experience with iOS development and/or Kotlin Multiplatform.
- Contributed to open source projects.
We offer top-of-market compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours (when it is safe to do so again), team activities (even remotely), lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks (when we are back in the office). Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page].Location
While our preference is to have this person located near our Seattle office (we are still all remote), we are also open to having this position be remote elsewhere in the US. If you are working remotely occasional visits to our Seattle, USA headquarters or Memphis office will be expected (when it is safe to travel).This is a remote/office based position which may be performed anywhere in the United States except for within the state of Colorado.