Software Development Manager at Cisco Meraki (San Francisco, CA or Remote)
At Meraki, we’re making IT easier, faster, and smarter. Our cloud teams build and maintain our cloud applications, which manage millions of networks, cameras, and sensors all over the world. Our customers use the Meraki web dashboard and programmable APIs to monitor, configure, and automate critical IT infrastructure that serves tens of millions of people every single day. Cisco collects extensive amounts of data from devices all over the world. We write millions of data points each second globally every day. With this data, we power Dashboard and a rich set of programmable APIs that allow our customers to gain insight into the state of their networks.
In this role, you will manage a team that’s adapting existing Meraki products for new market segments. This innovative and dynamic team works across our entire stack from initial prototyping and user experience design, to full-stack web development. As a manager at Meraki, you will provide architectural leadership, review code and designs, and help guide product direction. You will be a strong mentor, nurturing a cooperative environment where your team can do their best work. You will enable a highly productive relationship among product management, design, and engineering. You have a committed focus on user experience — you will help ensure that your team is building the features that will have the biggest impact on this exciting new market. This is a highly visible and strategic program, and the opportunity is here to create something beautifully simple that customers love.Example projects as an Engineering Manager:
- Holding regular one-on-ones with your team, ongoing coaching, and mentorship, writing performance evaluations, and compensation planning.
- Planning and tracking timelines for your team, ensuring efficient execution, and addressing relevant partners when things change.
- Working with our recruiters on targeted hiring efforts.
- Working with senior engineers on your team to figure out the best way to build systems for analyzing data in new ways. Growing those systems to enable large customers to take advantage of Meraki features at an enormous scale, locally and globally.
- Working alongside Product Management and Design to craft a feature development strategy that makes Dashboard the most intelligent network management system in the industry, while maintaining our core simplicity.
- Are interested in a leadership role because it allows you to work closely with others to help them achieve their best. You have led teams of more than three people and are looking for an opportunity to explore a new domain while nurturing the continued growth of a team.
- Have 5+ years of experience building systems that maintain a balance between time to market, usability, and technical architecture
- Have 3+ years of hands-on management experience
- Are adaptable and versatile, but also understand the business necessity of schedules, estimates, and deadlines.
- Have experience with modern web frameworks like Ruby on Rails or Django and backend systems like time series databases
- Product/project management skills and an understanding of how to balance product requests and deadlines against internal priorities
- Mentoring individuals at different stages of their career
- Networking technologies
- Working closely with Product Management, UX, or Design teams
- Experience in processing large volumes of data in real-time and batch modes
- Large scale program management
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That’s a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great managers come from a diverse set of backgrounds.
Cisco requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated or have an approved religious or medical accommodation. Candidates accepting an offer must provide proof of vaccination status on their first day. If someone anticipates requesting an accommodation for this requirement, they must receive approval before the start date. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Cisco’s vaccination policy.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.