Software Architect at Hippo Insurance
Hippo is a Palo Alto based, Series E Unicorn company leading the modernization of the home insurance and protection industry, which hasn’t innovated in many years. We use technology to create modernized, customer-centric home insurance and proactive maintenance services. We take our hyper-focus on customer satisfaction (buyer simplicity, comprehensive coverage, concierge service) a step further, by offering IoT Smart Home devices for monitoring home health. These devices, together with numerous other data sources (like aerial imagery and predictive actuarial data) allow us to proactively address problems before homeowners even know about them. Our Net Promoter Score (NPS) is consistently 3x those of large insurers.
Hippo is solving complex engineering, data, regulatory and operational problems that have immediate impact on this antiquated industry. We're on a strong (but responsible) growth trajectory, with a proven and recession-proof set of products.
The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing and implementing software solutions to address complex business issues, and providing technical leadership within the engineering department. The ideal applicant will be able to thrive in a highly collaborative workplace and actively engage in the development process hands-on. This is an excellent career opportunity for a professional with an impressive architectural design background and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Collaborate with team members to determine best practices and requirements for software solutions
- Lead high-level decision making for software development and oversee the “big picture” software architecture
- Recommend design choices based on technical standards (platforms, coding standards) by considering insurance business requirements
- Actively develop software in multiple programming languages and cloud environments
- Coach and train team members to build confidence in the use of our software tools
- Advise on all aspects of development from appropriate technology choices and workflow to coding standards; oversee progress of development teams to ensure consistency with initial design
- Actively seek ways to improve business software processes and interactions
- Use a proactive approach to common challenges and by continually researching best practices in coding, troubleshoot coding problems quickly and efficiently to ensure a productive workplace
- 7+ years of experience designing and implementing software applications
- Demonstrated knowledge of cloud applications and open source technologies
- Outstanding collaboration and communication skills are essential
- Experience overseeing customized development of processes for multiple projects simultaneously
- Professional experience analyzing code for weaknesses and design flaws, and overseeing plans to improve them
- Experience designing secure software systems based upon industry-specific specifications
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical field, Masters preferred
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers. Our CEO views this company as an opportunity to care for one another like a family, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly)
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily. Fully stocked kitchen & AMAZINGLY GOOD in-house BBQ on Fridays
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful modern engineering and business HQ in downtown Palo Alto, steps from CalTrain
Compensation & Perks:
- Generous equity package, competitive salaries, unlimited PTO policy (with manager approval)
- Generous medical, dental, vision, 401K, FSA account, commuter benefits including free parking pass, and others
- Work and play with super smart, friendly people in a high energy office environment
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known