Are you self-motivated? Results-driven? Do you want to be on the ground floor of building out a world-class e-commerce experience? Yes?! Then we want to talk to you.
Here at FIGS, we are building and growing our fledgling e-commerce platform. We are looking for an exceptional engineer who can help us architect and build out our AWS infrastructure, site-monitoring setup, deployment process and much more.
FIGS is growing rapidly. We have been doubling our sales and traffic regularly over the last several years. We need to make sure our infrastructure can handle this increase predictably and without any degradation.
All of our custom services are dockerized and deployed on AWS using EKS. We use CircleCI as our build and integration platform. We use Datadog and Pagerduty for our monitoring setup. Our deployment management code is custom written, mostly with Terraform.
Our backend services are a mix of Typescript on Node and Ruby on Rails and use a mix of REST and GraphQL. Our front-end experience is a server-side rendered Next.js React site built with Typescript and modern React (16+). We use Shopify to manage our shopping cart and checkout process.
While our base stack is evolving there is still plenty of room for it to grow. Want to introduce auto-scaled blue-green deployment? Let's discuss it. Want to implement a chaos monkey to find out where we are not resilient? Let's explore it. Want to re-write our service configuration scripts in Haskell? Okay no, we have our limits.
Does this sound interesting? Keep reading.
What you'll do:
- Work as an engineer on projects with a small team or alone as we grow. ● Partner with the rest of our Engineering team to optimize our codebase for running fast and reliably in our production environment.
- Build out site-reliability and monitoring features for our service-oriented infrastructure. ● Create deployment pipelines for new services (and maybe even automate the process). ● Maintain and manage the EKS cluster we share with our data science team.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years professionally working with kubernetes or container oriented infrastructure.
- Strong computer science and software design fundamentals.
- A preference for TDD-style development over YDD (YOLO driven development). ● Extensive experience with Docker, Terraform, Shell and other standard tooling. ● Experience setting up CI/CD build processes and pipelines.
- Awareness of common cloud security vulnerabilities and how to avoid them. ● Demonstrated ability to architect scalable and maintainable service oriented infrastructure.
Bonus points for:
- Experience working alongside Shopify, Spree, BigCommerce or other e-commerce platforms.
- Experience with modern web application development.
Other must haves:
- Ownership: Our site is reliable and performant. You will be the owner of making sure we keep it that way.
- Desire to learn: we are not looking for specific experience with our tech stack—just the willingness and sufficient experience (with an equivalent stack) to pick it up fast. ● Excellent communication skills.
- Collaboration: we work in small cross-functional teams and as individual engineers. We are not afraid of challenges and working together to tackle them.
- Positive attitude: we are self-starters who love to solve problems with technologies ● A strong work ethic, with integrity and entrepreneurial mindset.
Please apply with your cover letter, resume, and examples of previous work to be considered.
A little bit about us…
The medical apparel industry is antiquated, highly fragmented and, until FIGS, was driven solely by low-cost providers offering a limited selection of poor quality products sold through third party distributors. FIGS is revolutionizing the medical apparel industry by creating the highest quality medical apparel in the world and by selling directly to medical professionals through our branded ecommerce site.
FIGS’ foundation is built on product quality, and we have a relentless focus on three key areas: fabric, fit and function. We developed our proprietary, performance-oriented fabric technology to meet the demands of the medical profession. FIGS’ Technical Collection fabric is wrinkle resistant, moisture-wicking, lightweight, breathable and offers four-way stretch. Our designs are tailored, sophisticated and innovative, incorporating features such as yoga waistbands, smart storage (pockets, zippers, hidden pockets) and inspirational sayings inside each garment that appeal to modern healthcare professionals.
By offering a branded and customer-centric online shopping experience, we are changing how medical professionals buy their workwear. Through our website, social media, and participation in medical conferences and events, we have built a strong following within the medical community and a meaningful connection with our customers, which allows us to understand their needs and to ensure that FIGS is continuously improving and innovating.
FIGS’ Threads for Threads initiative is central to our mission. FIGS has donated hundreds of thousands of scrubs to healthcare providers in need around the world.