Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about building the systems, culture, and processes that will improve the resiliency, reliability, scaling, and performance for cloud services.
We are looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to work closely with our product engineering and infrastructure teams. The Site Reliability Engineer will be performing a mix of hands-on development, consulting, and collaborating with other teams and stakeholders to help bring DigitalOcean’s engineering systems and culture to the next level.
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to drive reliability and availability across the organization at a global scale. As a champion of reliability and availability for the customer, you’ll drive maturity across microservices and across the company, helping engineering teams set effective SLIs/SLOs, cultivate a blameless and diligent postmortem culture, and strategize for disaster recovery. Risk can’t be avoided - but it can be managed and mitigated, and that’s what the SRE team at DigitalOcean is here to do.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Building automation, metrics collections (Prometheus a plus), performance tooling, and occasionally features to directly improve the reliability, resiliency, and scaling of our IaaS,SaaS and PaaS product offerings and architecture.
- Collaborate with teams on researching and fine-tuning their SLIs/SLOs to drive the best outcomes for customers.
- Facilitate DigitalOcean’s culture of learning by providing insight and recommendations for improvement.
- Coaching teams and individuals on reliability best practices and solutions.
- Working with peer SREs and engineering leaders to define the architectures and practices that should be adopted in order to deliver on our engineering and operational goals.
- Establishing best practices for development, architecture, deployment, and operations.
- Working with peer SREs to improve services and processes (including architecture reviews, incident response, monitoring) in a cross-functional manner throughout the engineering organization.
- Software engineering experience. At DO, SRE is not an operations role. Ideal candidates will have previous experience developing software at scale.
- We’re hiring a variety of levels for this role. For senior-level roles, we’ll expect a distinguished track record as SRE (or similar role) with hands-on experience implementing reliability, process, and scaling solutions.
- Flexibility to get up to speed with a variety of diverse product focused teams.
- History of fostering positive relationships with stakeholders and a track record of successful collaboration and coaching.
- Clear communication skills (both written and verbal) to document processes and architectures.
- Experience implementing disaster recovery best practices.
- Developing robust solutions that facilitate streamlined resolution of customer inquiries through use of technologies for automation, deflection, and issue management.
- Golang (or similar modern performant language and stack) with a broad understanding of the full technology stack for a modern infrastructure.
- Advocate of effective development environments with the use of CI/CD tooling and configuration management technologies such as Chef or Ansible.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This is a remote role
Department: Infrastructure #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!