Classkick is growing, and so is the Platform team! This new role at Classkick is an opportunity to build nearly from scratch the capabilities required to keep our high-traffic, realtime, distributed platform healthy and available.
We're seeking a Site Reliability Engineer that's dreamed about having the chance to own the whole picture. If you're excited by the prospect of defining, implementing, growing, and owning system-wide reliability, observability, and related automation, look no further. With your ownership you'll build the capabilities necessary to measure what matters, act on findings, define our SLOs, and collaborate widely across the company to proactively support healthy scaling. Your impacts will ensure our more than 700,000 daily active students and educators across the world are happy and productive for years to come.What you'll do
- Proactively assess and address system reliability gaps and issues.
- Build out and grow comprehensive monitoring/alerting for all aspects of the platform.
- Automate tasks that can be automated.
- Improve standards, tools, processes relevant to the facets of system reliability.
- Collaborate in designing our future systems: provide expert guidance towards highly available, scalable, fault-tolerant implementations.
- Define engineering standards which will support your work: app-level instrumentation & logging, etc.
- Take part in on-call rotation.
- Participate in incident management: collaborate in root cause analysis, remediation, and prevention.
- Assess and report on the current state of Classkick reliability/observability monthly: identify and prioritize needs at each platform grooming.
- Collaborate with the VPE and Platform team in defining a reliability roadmap for the next 6 months.
- In your first 60 days, determine present state SLOs and define SLO goals for 6 months out.
- In your first 60 days, define and realize platform reliability KPIs.
- You're a self-starter, self-directed learner, love learning and growing.
- You're great at what you do, and pride yourself on doing it with quality.
- You have an eye on timelines and competing priorities, and know when to make tradeoffs.
- You are a proactive and effective communicator.
- Efficiency and clarity make you happy, and you strive for them.
- You love working in a supportive atmosphere of amazing people that treat you like a human first.
- Must haves:
- Experience as an SRE in a cloud environment at scale (i.e. near or well above 700k daily active users).
- Experience leading or overseeing large projects from start to finish.
- Are passionate about improving education.
- Have a strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer.
- Nice to haves
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience in DevOps.
- Experience with chaos engineering, and/or load testing at scale.
- Experience working with distributed system components (for example caching, job-queuing, messaging, or other).
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Python, Ruby, Scala, Java.
Classkick’s stack: iOS, Angular, React, Python, Ruby, Scala, GCP, Firebase, MySQL, Kubernetes. Prior familiarity with stack is a bonus. It’s NOT required.
Classkick is a tech startup that loves helping teachers and students. We love it so much that every month, our team in-person or virtually joins classrooms to see how teachers and students use Classkick in real life. We enjoy hearing feedback and gaining more insight into how our product is valued in classrooms around the world.
Ed-tech is still young. We believe that by building a great product with a great business model, we will create a lasting impact on student learning, teacher effectiveness, and the industry at large. Our customer-centric culture helped us make the #1 learning activities platform in K-12 (measured by mean session time and/or NPS), with organic growth in 170+ countries.
Our team has described our culture as values-driven, collaborative, transparent, and empowering. We are lucky to serve students all over the world, and we don't take that responsibility lightly. We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment. Our products will only benefit all students if built by people with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, and opportunities. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for open roles, including women, historically excluded people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
And, while this is a startup and everyone works very hard, we believe in a work-life balance. More at classkick.com, instagram.com/classkick or twitter.com/classkick.
- Advocate for Learners
- Focus on People
- Work Towards Justice
- Stay Curious
Every day, kids come to class feeling engaged, supported and excited to learn because of Classkick. Our goal is that every student in the world is happy and successful in their education.
To achieve this, we connect students and their school work to all the advocates in their learning: classmates, teachers, parents, anyone invested in them. When the right person is there at the right time - whether with a high five, or some help when stuck - that’s when you get more “Ah ha!” and “OH I got it!” moments. Learning transforms from a chore into a fun and intrinsic experience.
After the pandemic, we suddenly expanded from being a major tool in the classroom, to becoming the classroom itself, for both in-person and hybrid learning. Joining at this stage is pivotal and will have high impact on the future direction of the company.