Site Reliability Engineer at Mozilla
The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure the Internet remains a global public resource, open and accessible to all. We believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled! Our work is guided by the Mozilla Manifesto.
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to help us build stable, reliable, infrastructure using modern best practices. Your work will directly enable us to achieve our goal of engaging wide audiences in activism for a healthier internet.
As a Site Reliability Engineer on the Digital Engagement team, the systems you will maintain are the introduction for users to the Foundation and its mission. Combining strong understanding of IaaS and PaaS and socio-technical systems, you'll work to empower our development team and be an evangelist for technology across the organization.
Here are some projects you'll likely work on in your first 6 months:
- Collaborate with teams in multiple organizations to migrate ownership of the voice dataset collection project, commonvoice.mozilla.org to the Foundation
- Support and improve our GitOps and Infrastructure as Code practices
- Collaborate with our engineering team to maintain and improve our engineering and DevOps practices
- Implement better metrics, monitoring, and logging across our production applications
- Help surface and make data available within the foundation’s data platform
As a Site Reliability Engineer at Mozilla, you will…
- Support multiple projects that engage to over 2 million users a year, and continue to grow
- Centralize, document, own, and lead the growth of our existing IT infrastructure across AWS, Heroku, GitHub, and multiple SaaS providers
- Build/advocate for tools and frameworks that promote self-service, observability, and other DevOps methodologies
- Improve CI/CD orchestration
- Diagnose and debug production incidents and then improve systems to prevent the problem from recurring
- Collaborate with the software development and data teams
- Mentor junior engineers
- Manage numerous projects with an eye on high quality and timely delivery
- Demonstrate accountability and team leadership in the delivery of work
- Be trusted to resolve unclear but urgent tasks
Your Professional Profile:
- Degree (or equivalent experience) and 4 years of experience in software engineering, with 3 or more years in Site Reliability or DevOps Engineering
- Experience with tools such as Terraform, Helm, Cloudformation, Ansible, and Puppet
- Strong communication skills
- Expertise running services on AWS or GCP
We Are Excited To See Any Additional Experience With:
- As our team works across multiple areas, you should be curious and interested in learning new things.
- Database administration
- Kubernetes administration
- Web application design and development
- Open source software ecosystem and GitOps
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Canada: $94,779 - $115,841 (mid-point: $105,310)
- US: $96,290 - $117,688 (mid-point: $106,989)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Toronto: $102,267 - $124,992 (mid-point: $113,629)
- New York: $106,689 - $130,398 (mid-point: $118,544)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
The Mozilla Foundation offers the following benefits for our staff:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at [email protected]