PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
It is an exciting time to join SIE’s Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. SREs operate right at the intersection of Software Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering. The SRE team strives to make the Platform a highly reliable, scalable, operable and secure product and service.
The Network & Content Delivery team within SIE’s Platform Hosting Engineering organization provides critical services used across all platform teams to provide visibility into the performance and availability of PlayStation Network services to our players, partners, and other customers. SREs on Site Reliability Tools teams work closely with developers, operations teams, and leadership to ensure we have the right set of tools to generate, collect, analyze, visualize and alert on operational data, so we know exactly what happens across the PlayStation ecosystem and can see problems before they occur and address them as quickly as possible.Responsibilities
- Build, deploy and operate a combination of open-source, custom-written, and vendor provided software to provide network and content delivery capabilities across the PlayStation Network platform
- Collaborate with multiple software engineering teams to integrate solutions
- Build automation to provide self-service capabilities for on-boarding new services into the platform
- Participate in an on-call rotation to ensure 24/7/365 availability of the tools and services delivered by the team
- Equally adept at software development and systems engineering/operations
- Build, deploy, and operate services at an expert level
- Hands on experience in working with distributed systems and ‘illities” (availability, reliability, scalability, etc.) of the services
- Excellent troubleshooting skills that span code, system, and network (TCP/IP). Ability to zoom in from code to JVM garbage collection problem to packet loss in the network
- Design and provide operational and infrastructural requirements that promote uptime, speed and security at all phases of SDLC on a global scale
- Fluency with running distributed services at scale with performance
- Proven experience following software engineering best-practices
- In depth understanding of Unix/Linux systems internals and networking
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools
- Experience in public cloud services and deployment (AWS preferred)
- Experience deploying and supporting delivery pipelines in a large enterprise environment
- Direct experience with at least one of the following monitoring technologies: Sensu, Datadog, CA APM, AWS Cloudwatch
- Strong software development experience in one or more of these languages: Go, Perl, Python or Java
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle with experience integrating Open Source tools
- Strong ability to tackle sophisticated issues ranging from system resources to application stack traces
- Experienced user of one or more source code management tools
- Strong hands-on experience building and maintaining infrastructure for micro services
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment tools like Jenkins, Bamboo, or similar
- Experience developing tools for system configuration, deployment, and monitoring
- Strong belief in driving operational excellence with owning efficiency and automation at the core of operations
- PASSIONATE(!) desire to automate and improve everything including process improvements, standardizing tools and technologies!
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach
- Complete ownership of end to end solutions and handling their life cycle
- Execution oriented and results driven
- Customer and peer relationship focused with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, team environment
- Ability to learn new skills/technologies quickly and independently
- First-hand experience with at-least two load balancing technologies: Akamai, NGiNX, F5, AWS ELB/ALB/NLB
- Experience with VPN tunnel technologies and implementations
- Knowledge of how TLS certificates are created, handled, and implemented
- Implementation experience with network access controls such as AWS Security Groups, ACLs, iptables
- Hands-on experience with large scale DNS primary/secondary implementations and operation
- Knowledge of conditional-based traffic routing via methods like: host headers, URI, Geo
- Experience with web protocols like HTTP and HTTP/2
- Experience with traffic shaping methods like rate limiting and connection limiting
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 7-10 years professional experience at scale
- 3-4 years experience operating network and content delivery technologies at scale
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.