Senior Systems Engineer - Spacecraft Command & Data Handling at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Senior Systems Engineer - Spacecraft Command & Data Handling
The Ball Command & Data Handling (C&DH) group is a systems engineering team focused on procurement of flight computer hardware. As the brain of the spacecraft, C&DH is responsible for interfacing to other subsystems, storing telemetry and mission data, system timekeeping, and vehicle control. Ball C&DH team members are systems/electrical/computer/software engineers who define the requirements, develop the architecture, implement the design, and test the system from end to end.
As a Senior Engineer, you’ll be a technical leader on one of America’s missions to space. You may have the opportunity to design the entire subsystem on a small satellite, lead a multi-person team on a large space vehicle program, or optimize solutions for a multi-vehicle constellation. Growth opportunities within C&DH and throughout Ball offer a rewarding career and an exceptional work-life balance; it’s all part of our Ball Culture.
What You’ll Do:
- C&DH technical lead - This position is 70% technical and 30% management.
- Mentor and support C&DH junior team members.
- Estimate and execute subsystem cost and schedule.
- Manage technical subcontracts.
- Perform C&DH engineering tasks from program conception thru mission operations.
- Define the requirements, develop the architecture, implement the design, and test the C&DH spacecraft subsystem.
- Collaborate with other spacecraft subsystems to influence their component designs and interfaces.
- Document the C&DH design in Systems Engineering Reports.
- Create analyses to verify subsystem performance meets or exceeds requirements.
- Generate verification and validation plans, and work with Integration and Test team to ensure the subsystem meets requirements.
- Execute Research & Development (R&D) projects.
- Extensive technical writing (Proposal development, Contractual elements, procedural definitions, specifications, interfaces, analysis support and description documents).
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Minimum of 6 years of direct experience in electronics or avionics subsystem design or test.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of requirements definition, decomposition, and flow-down, architectural trade studies, architectural and interface definition, hardware specifications, interface control, analyses, and verification.
- Knowledge of electronics designed for EMI/EMC/ESD compliance.
- Proven expertise in subcontract management.
- Extensive experience with defining, developing and delivering space qualified hardware.
- Intellectual curiosity combined with a strong desire to learn.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Effective in multidisciplinary large teamwork environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) - CAM experience preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.