We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
As a Senior Staff engineer at Coinbase, you will be a steward of our architecture, operations, scale, and security. You will help us recruit and develop world-class engineers that represent the best in the industry. You will architect, design, and review platforms that support the company’s vision. You will span technologies from cloud to the blockchain. You will work ruthlessly to make our systems safe, our developers productive, and our deliverables trustworthy. You will look outward as well as inward, aligning our executive team and product strategy with changes in technology, and help us create an innovative culture.
While you need to be strategic in your thinking, this is also very much a “hands-on” job - there are no ivory towers or “architect-only” roles. You should be able to dive deep into code and implement complex systems where necessary. You must be willing to operate without boundaries and be able and willing to fix problems anywhere you find them - in testing and staging, deployment, operations, security, as much as in development and architecture. You must be able to care about a single line of code as much as the company’s vision and strategic investments.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design, develop, deploy, and operate technical architecture and systems. Identify opportunities to improve existing systems/workflows for performance, scale, speed, and accuracy. Ruthlessly optimize for productivity - your own and that of the entire engineering team.
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement. Participate and drive operational reviews and hold both ICs and managers accountable for improvements. Be a relentless advocate for improving the customer experience created by our architecture and code outcomes.
- Review all feature designs within your product area and across the company for cross-cutting projects. Be an owner of the security, safety, scale, operational integrity, and architectural clarity of these designs.
- Understand the trends within the company and in the industry at large. Call out problematic ideas and provide appropriate push-back to engineers, managers, and executives.
- Debugging extremely difficult technical problems, and making systems and products both work better and are easier to deploy, own, operate and diagnose.
- Help with leadership recruiting efforts for hiring senior engineers and managers. Recruit others like yourself and serve as a beacon to the best engineers on the planet through blogs, conference presentations, and other external engagements and/or social media.
- Coach and mentor talented engineers by giving them actionable feedback and setting clear goals. Assist in calibrating and developing the engineering team as a whole.
What we look for in you:
- 10+ years of experience with large scale distributed systems in roles providing technical leadership and direction for software engineering and development
- Strong technical skills for system design and coding
- Comfortable with leading large cross-functional initiatives, and collaborating with product managers, UX designers, and engineering teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a bias toward open, transparent cultural practices.
- Excellent skills of mentoring, maturity, dealing with conflict and communication - not just within the team but also across the product group and/or all of engineering.
Nice to haves:
- Have previous experience at a fast paced, high growth stage internet/software company
- Embodies our values: Positive energy, continuous learning, clear communication, efficient execution, and commitment to building an inclusive environment
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.