Senior Software Site Reliability Engineer at Credit Karma
Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
Compute Platform is responsible for enabling the organization by utilizing the power of public cloud and Kubernetes to provide a seamless application platform in a reliable and scalable manner. As a SRE, you will contribute to this goal by developing tooling and architectural patterns to evolve our technology as we continue on our incredible journey and scale.
What you’ll do:
- Drive solutions and implement systems that propel the organization as we leverage the capability of the Cloud to provide a seamless Platform
- Compute Platform architecture and reliability (IaaS, PaaS)
- Core infrastructure tools and frameworks (Configuration Management, IAM, CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code, Monitoring, HA, kubernetes, Helm, FLux, etc.)
- Work with Public Cloud, e.g. Google Cloud Platform, AWS, etc as well as container orchestration systems like Kubernetes
- Collaborate across Engineering and Product teams to translate application requirements to infrastructure capabilities
- Maintain an automation centric vision and incorporating SRE methodologies in an effort to increase reliability and decrease toil
- Involvement in technical design and architecture discussions and decisions as well as contributing to technical troubleshooting in various part of the stack
What’s great about the role:
- You will have the opportunity to contribute greatly to an extremely engineering-focused organization
- Your contributions will have a noticeable impact on our members as well as your fellow Karmanauts (that’s what we call ourselves)
- You will be involved in organizational efforts of continuous improvement to increase and ensure the reliability of Credit Karma
- You will get broad exposure to our full stack, consisting of desired and progressive technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Google Cloud Platform, Jenkins, etc.
- You will grow and learn and have fun doing it--it’s part of our culture
- And, of course, all those awesome company perks that you have probably already read about
Minimum Basic Requirement:
- 3+ years of experience in a web-centric Linux production environment using modern infrastructure technologies
- Working knowledge of Computer Engineering with a focus on Infrastructure, Platform, and Application (Cloud, Containerization, Container orchestration, Network, etc.)
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, web application security, and experience supporting multi-tier web application architectures
- Experience running Infrastructure at scale; utilizing Configuration Management and automation to ensure idempotency, ephemerality, and reliability
- Working knowledge of Python, Go or other higher-level OOP languages
- Experience with Kubernetes, Helm, Terraform and CI/CD toolsets
- Familiar with SRE methodologies and passionate about solving operation problems by utilizing automation and software.
- Ability to communicate effectively vertically and horizontally within the organization via demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with container orchestration systems like Kubernetes, Mesos, etc.
- Experience working in a hybrid environment as well as Public Cloud, e.g. Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Azure, etc.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Python, Go, or other higher-level OOP languages (eg. Ruby, C++, Scala, etc.)
- Familiarity with information security principles and best practices in virtual environments
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance or similar ordinances.
COVID-19 update: Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a career at Credit Karma is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process. Moving forward, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to share proof of that status upon onboarding. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Credit Karma may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies:
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)