Who we are at Embroker
Embroker makes commercial insurance simple.
Since 2015, our team has worked to bring the insurance industry into the 21st century and beyond. Backed with $150M in funding, Embroker is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies. Our digital-first experience combines the best policies with the right rates that fit customer needs.
Nothing is possible without our team. As part of the Embroker Pack, you will have a direct and enormous impact on daily operations, team interactions, and culture. You’ll build cool things, meet great people, and grow with us. All from the comfort of your couch.
We are helping businesses plan for tomorrow, so they can change the world today. Are you in?
The value of this position
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will join our Platform Engineering team to transition from Embroker’s existing platform to a hybrid microservices architecture (Event-driven microservices/SOA) written using Go, building event schemas, RESTful APIs, business services, data layers, document management, carrier integrations, and much more.
We work in small, cross-functional teams of 3-6 people and use Slack to stay connected.
What you will own in this role
- Display self-leadership in the ownership of design and development initiatives that you have committed to deliver, collaborating with peers and architects.
- Deliver independent microservices through decoupling capabilities associated with particular domains within the platform (pricing, payments, risk management)
- Ongoing ownership and accountability delivering highly-available systems with quality, resiliency, security, latency, and developer productivity a key focus of each service built or maintained.
What experience we think is the right fit
- 5+ years of experience in web application development
- 2+ years experience cloud-based microservices development
- Proficiency in Go
- Strong foundation in event-driven and RESTful microservice architectures
- Experience building solutions with at least one cloud platform (AWS preferred)
- Created and maintained highly available, scalable, secure, and observable services
- Hands-on experience designing and creating Event schemas and services
- Skilled in designing/building RESTful APIs
- Ability to write clean, well-designed, and high-quality code in a highly collaborative Agile development environment
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
What experience we think is nice to have
- Experience with:
- TDD and DDD
- Modern CI/CD Tools (Github Actions, Gitlab)
- APM tools (Datadog, Appdyanmics, New Relic)
- Modern Testing Frameworks (Browserstack)
- PostgreSQL or other RMDS system
- Infrastructure As Code (Ansible/Terraform/Packer or equivalent)
- Containerization and Orchestration (Docker / Kubernetes)
- React and Typescript
Our Pack at Embroker lives our values
- Pack First
We succeed and fail as one team. We always optimize for what is best for our entire organization. We communicate honestly and openly, treat each other with mutual respect, and assume positive intent in interactions.
- Create Magic
We deliver delightful experiences at every customer touchpoint and dedicate ourselves to make each one exceptional. We build transformational world-class products by applying our full creativity to find solutions to even the hardest problems.
- Be All-In
We make focused commitments. We are accountable to ourselves and each other to deliver on time. We move fast and attack challenges with relentless positivity. We build things that make us proud.
We believe that systemic structures and practices disproportionately disadvantage the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be represented and included in the work we do, to make our Pack stronger, more creative, and improve the way we do business. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.