Senior Software Engineer (Remote) at Verisk
Who is Jornaya?
At Jornaya, a Verisk business, we believe in using innovative technology and data that empowers companies to connect with their customers and prospects at the right time and in the most meaningful way. We take pride in helping our customers understand and apply our solutions and data to improve their digital marketing strategies in new and creative ways. When our customers win, we win.
Verisk (Nasdaq:VRSK) provides predictive analytics and decision-support solutions to customers in the insurance, energy and specialized markets, and financial services industries. More than 70 percent of the FORTUNE 100 relies on the company’s advanced technologies to manage risks, make better decisions and improve operating efficiency. Celebrating its 50th anniversary, the company continues to make the world better, safer and stronger, and fosters an inclusive and diverse culture where all team members feel they belong.
With more than 100 offices in nearly 35 our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We have received the Great Place to Work® Certification for the fifth consecutive year. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce. Verisk’s Statement on Racial Equity and Diversity supports our commitment to these values and affecting positive and lasting change in the communities where we live and work.Job Description
As a Senior Software Engineer, you know what it takes to be a technical leader. You are able to break open a product initiative and design a technical approach given the technical landscape. You are able to work with your peers to refine your technical designs and then present those designs to your team of engineers. You are able to help the team break down the initiative into workable stories that will fit into a 2 week sprint. You love to mentor individuals either at a whiteboard or through code review feedback.
The Senior Software Engineer will be responsible for….
- Working with a Product owner to flesh out technical requirements
- Design a high level technical implementation for a given product initiative
- Submit the technical design to a panel of your peers and apply applicable feedback
- Help guide a team through the technical design through the implementation
- Mentor engineers on best practices and standards
About the Day to Day Responsibilities of the Role
- Develop high-quality software design and architecture
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Develop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
- Review and debug code
- Perform validation and verification testing
- Proven experience developing Software as a Service applications using the Agile scrum methodology
- Excellent foundational knowledge of Python 3.x
- Experience working with AWS technologies
- Develop serverless applications
- In depth knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases
- Familiarity with various operating systems (Linux, Mac OS)
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
Nice to Have
- Use Terraform to develop infrastructure as code
- Experience with AWS datastores such as Aurora and DynamoDB
- Frontend experience using the Elm framework
- Experience working with a Data Lake (i.e. S3) and/or a Data Warehouse (Redshift/Athena)
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice
At Verisk, the health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Effective November 15, 2021, and subject to applicable law, all prospective hires for office based roles or roles that support any of our businesses’ government contracts will be required to demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, or qualify for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement, as a condition of employment. Hired candidates who do not demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will no longer meet the requirements for employment and their offers of employment will be immediately rescinded, in accordance with applicable law.